Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

noylj posted a comment on Monday 8th October 2012 5:16am for Plans are Subject to Change

Gahh--way too much Bumbles time. The man is, whether in canon or almost any fanfic, about the most passive/aggressive, demented, delusional, person with a strong belief in their own godhood of any character in fiction.

Both he and Molly drag a story down and encourage scrolling down to find some decent dialog or action.

fyrecat posted a comment on Sunday 16th November 2008 4:35pm for Plans are Subject to Change

I completely agree about the tournament. 3 events in 9 months is pretty lame. There would almost have to be *something* else going on!
I love what potter is doing to Snape! I always thought he should be publicly called to task for his amusing little tattoo.
There are a few missed words in the middle of sentences here and there throughout this and the last chapter. If you are interested at this point, you might want to go back and proof-read it again.
Overall, I'm still loving this story! Thanks again for sharing it with us!

JBern replied:

Thanks for reviewing.~Jim

Jizzle posted a comment on Monday 7th July 2008 8:47pm for Plans are Subject to Change

"only the most rudimentary Transfiguration and Conjuration is beyond his capacity to conceal." needs to be either "even the...beyond..." or "only...within his..."

I like how you define Tonks very well with so few lines.

Rereading this chapter, I'm very curious as to when/if Harry will take Arthur up on his offer. That should be interesting. And again, I really like your Arthur.

"I made sure my I didn’t have a punctured lung." The "my" shouldn't be there.

I like how you bring up the name "Sarah Underhill" out of nowhere, even if it is a bit of disconcerting. But maybe that's just because I've been watching Twin Peaks for the first time. That show drops pieces of information out of nowhere in a way that show they're important without immediately explaining why, and it does it all the time.

Harry shouldn't be kicking himself for nearly calling Lupin Remus. When they parted, Lupin asked him to call him Remus or Mooney.


JBern replied:

Good points on the grammar.   I'll fix them at some point.~Jim

King Darius posted a comment on Wednesday 18th June 2008 11:09am for Plans are Subject to Change

good story so far, what you plan for the other activities sounds like the kind of thing Bellerophon30 had in his story, Brave New World, where he has harry going to a school in the U.S. its a great story, you should read it, its on FFN.

JBern replied:

I honestly don't have time to read anything these days, but I have heard good things about that author.   Thanks for the review.~Jim

The Resident posted a comment on Friday 25th January 2008 5:07pm for Plans are Subject to Change

An interesting chapter. Even with going back in time, Snape's still a bastard, Dumbledore's still living in a dream world, etc. Maybe Hermione will follow Harry's advice and learn a few things about House Elves. I like the Hat. Wicked sense of humor (yours) and a truly unique characterization. Keep up the great work. I'm off to read the next chapter.

JBern replied:

Well since you're caught up with the chapters now, you know that Hermione learned something useful about the House Elves lately.   Thanks for reviewing.~Jim

Brian Donnely posted a comment on Saturday 17th November 2007 7:37am for Plans are Subject to Change

Hahaha, gotta love that hat...

Nice little twist with the Bloody Baron being his ancestor.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you are enjoying it.~Jim

verdant posted a comment on Thursday 9th August 2007 2:54am for Plans are Subject to Change

Cool plot. Harry's a little wild, but then that would be James' defining characteristic, wouldn't it? Looking forward to Beaubatons arrival. Cheers!

JBern replied:

Chapter 7 is being written this week.~Jim

dave gerecke posted a comment on Tuesday 31st July 2007 11:30pm for Plans are Subject to Change

I know you don't like when will you update, but I did want to say that I have enjoyed this story and your others.
I just understand how you are able to keep the story lines seperate.
dave

JBern replied:

I'm writing chapter 7 this week.   Sometimes it's tough to keep the storylines straight, but it's fun too.   My mind = Scary but cool place.   Thanks for the review.~Jim

Nogoalielikeme posted a comment on Tuesday 31st July 2007 4:41pm for Plans are Subject to Change

dude, that's amazing! i can't wait for the next chapter, the hat's humor is definately one in it's own. great job.

JBern replied:

I'm working on chapter 7 this week.~Jim

JoFarries posted a comment on Saturday 28th July 2007 6:56am for Plans are Subject to Change

I've seen this story commented on in a couple of HP lists I'm on. I've been avoiding it for weeks now, and for some reason known only to God, I decided to read it now.

I'm awfully glad I did! This has been a pretty good romp! I like the Sorting Hat, even though he has managed to make me cringe a couple of times so far. And I like this last revelation, about who the Bloody Baron is!

I'm looking forward to more in this story. Could you possibly update a little quicker?

Thanks for the great read so far!

Jo F.

JBern replied:

So you just found this and you're already asking me to update quicker?   *sigh*

I'm still trying to finish off TFtCD and get the first few chapters of Bungle's sequel preped (as well as a few other projects...).   Anyway, I'm going as fast as I can.~Jim

FULLMETAL posted a comment on Saturday 28th July 2007 3:12am for Plans are Subject to Change

Well done! I was wondering how you would pull off having more tasks than the 3 we see in canon, and the explanation of the different schools having different rules for the tournament works pretty well. Manipulative Harry is certainly one that I've never read before. I just love how he plays people especially Ron and Hermione (she's my favorite character and I'm a big H/Hr shipper, but I just wish someone would slap some sense into her once in a while, just to humble her), I don't think that's ever been done before, at least not to this extent. One question that's nagging me though is: who is Sarah Underhill? You mention her when Harry is talking about how to turn the other professors against snape. I checked the HP-Lexicon and she's not canon. The only place I've ever read her name is a fanfic called 'Altered Destinies' where she plays Harry's (A.K.A James Evan's) wife. What's that about?

JBern replied:

The name  was a tip of the hat to DobbyElfLord's story.    That is a really good story.   As to the character in this story, you'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the compliments on rearranging the tournament.   Next chapter coming soon.~Jim

Sarah B posted a comment on Tuesday 24th July 2007 8:24am for Plans are Subject to Change

This is a really interesting concept and very well written. I like the way that things don't always go exactly as he plans and the hat is hilarious, also Fawkes seems to be on Harry's side which could be interesting. I look forward to reading more.

JBern replied:

Fawkes is on his own side.   Glad you are enjoying the story.   More coming soon.~Jim

Vongsawat posted a comment on Friday 20th July 2007 6:32am for Plans are Subject to Change

loved it. it has that tang i've come to appreciate of your works, a writing style most prominent in Bungle in the Jungle ^^ while at the same time a style on its own (BitJ writing style always seemed a tad over the top to me)
love what youve done with the sorting hat, he spits insults like a machine gun, all very interesting ones aswell. keep up the good work, awaits your next update, for any fic. or mayb even the sequel to BitJ?? =P wishful thinking ne

JBern replied:

I'm working on the sequel to Bungle.   It'll be along eventually.   Glad you like the style.   I hope the coming chapters will impress you just as much.~Jim

impatientuser posted a comment on Wednesday 18th July 2007 3:55pm for Plans are Subject to Change

This has been a fantastic read. I'll write a more in depth review when I'm not on my pda. Thanks for writing =)

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you like it.   Hope to read longer review from you soon.~Jim

brad posted a comment on Tuesday 17th July 2007 6:52pm for Plans are Subject to Change

I enjoyed the action - nice and snappy as always - but for some reason I appreciated the follow-up inquisition even more. Some fanfics don't do the carry-through on such things. With the events of the battle firmly in my mind I was fully on Harry's side and angry with/for him when Malfoy did his verbal dueling.

I'm a bit confused at your extension of the tournament to include an all-school team and other events. Sure, it makes sense, as you say, but it moves this story from 'AU differing from canon in only one critical respect' (James's consciousness emerging) to a story with multiple divergences from the series. Well, not 'confused', but it makes the story a little less 'neat', if you know what I mean. Your call, of course, and I dare say it will make the story more interesting. I want to read about Hermione beating everyone else in the intellectual challenges!!! :-)

So glad you/HJ told Hermione what she was doing wrong wth the elves; that needed doing. I was going to bristle about her umbrage at being 'shown up' by Harry being out of character, but I guess it's exactly the same as her reaction to Harry 'cheating' with the potions book in HBP; so I'll be quiet. And anyway, you've told me you'll ignore any pleas I make on Hermione's behalf ... :-)

JBern replied:

I'll eventually do a H/Hr story, but this ain't gonna be it.   I think you'll enjoy the revamped tournament on some levels, but not others.~Jim

JP posted a comment on Monday 16th July 2007 2:17am for Plans are Subject to Change

Lovin it - especially the smart arse hat.

JP

JBern replied:

Thanks.~Jim

koppe posted a comment on Saturday 14th July 2007 9:09pm for Plans are Subject to Change

So far so good. I'm liking this story very much -- and I absolutly love The Hat... hope Harry shows Hermione how to see the hidden messahes in the songs... and Harry hasn't even met Fleur yet!

Keep up the great work, and update soon.

JBern replied:

Next chapter coming soon.   Fleur will show up this chapter.~Jim

jovan schnee posted a comment on Friday 13th July 2007 11:11pm for Plans are Subject to Change

Wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your writing. I just found this site about a month ago, and have gotten up-to-date with your various stories. They are all great fun to read. You've got good range and gift for weaving action and humor together. Your writing reminds me a bit of Donald E. Westlake. He might have been before your time, but wrote a great number of very funny caper books, but other things as well. Keep up the good work; I really look forward to your updates.

JBern replied:

Thank you very much.   I'm not familiar with the writer you mention, but he sounds like a good one.   I hope my future efforts continue to impress you.~Jim

Infin1x posted a comment on Friday 13th July 2007 10:20pm for Plans are Subject to Change

Well that's an interesting development. Great work.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you liked it.   Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

ClaMiAl posted a comment on Friday 13th July 2007 5:37pm for Plans are Subject to Change

Cool story. New idea, never read anything like this before! How did you come up with the idea of Harry sort of being James, too? And I love the sarcasm. So funny! Well, I will be looking forward to the next chapters.

JBern replied:

All those times in stories where Snape says that Harry is just like his father.   That got me thinking what if he was...   That's where the idea originated from.   Using the Dementors to shake loose the repressed memories was a natural plot device.~Jim