Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Jason9 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 5:09pm for I was Born to Run

Had a super long, super nasty day at work, it was very cool to get home and read the chapter to a sequel of one of my all time favorite stories that I had just got done re-reading. Can't wait to see the next chapter.

-J

JBern replied:

Glad I could make an improvement on your day.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

stuart posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 3:43pm for I was Born to Run

alright i have been looking forward to this for awhile now! great chapter, what is the update schedule looking like?

JBern replied:

Next chapter in 2 weeks.   I'm trying to get TFtCD finished in short order.~Jim

Gullwhacker posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 3:00pm for I was Born to Run

Well, I'll anticipate this, read The Lie I've Lived with gusto, and enjoy the next few chapters of Darkness. Good writing for all three - I note that you've covered all three perspectives. Oddly enough, I think I've come to prefer first-person or second-person perspectives in general; this may reflect on my fic preference. Mind, Darkness's setup is such that we see many sides, so it wouldn't really work with that.

I ramble while I should sleep!

JBern replied:

As a writer I wanted to try new things, so I have experimented with all three perspectives.   I've come to enjoy writing 1st person and 2nd person the most.   It gives a level of intimacy with the character that most 3rd person stories just can't.   Hope you got some sleep!~Jim

scott2 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 2:04pm for I was Born to Run

Great story and chapter, I'm all atingle at the 'reunion' to come :)

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Next chapter coming in 2 weeks.~Jim

Rick D Gale posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 1:46pm for I was Born to Run

Oh, this is going to be a great story! It will be nice to see how Harry can make everybody's life a little harder.

Just let him get enough rest before he kicks Voldemort's back-side... Then Dumbledore's... Then the Ministers.

I look forward to your next chapter.

Rick

JBern replied:

I hope when I'm done it and Bungle will count among your all-time favorites.   Next chapter coming in 2 weeks.~Jim

dc1 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 1:35pm for I was Born to Run

there is a god! seeing this story was up certainly made my day. not having read this style of your writing for a while, reminds me how much i enjoy it.

excellent chapter, can't wait for the next one

JBern replied:

I'm glad this story made your day.   Next chapter coming in 2 weeks.~Jim

Sonicdale posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 12:11pm for I was Born to Run

While you were on hiatus from this series, I recovered. The shakes, the twitching, the bursts of erratic energy from my earlobes -- all gone. I was cured.

And then you go and continue this without posting 12 chapters at once! So now the twitching, the shakes and the bursts are back. And now I've got this odd ache in the back of my skull, somewhere behind my right ear, but closer to the top of my head. It's throbbing, pulsing with an inordinate amount of pain.

So...
To keep me from turning into the raving lunatic I almost am, please post soon. I really enjoyed this fic. Second person fics are few and far between. Ignore the detractors - they don't know a good thing even if it rode up on a dragon and bit them in left pinky toe.

Loved the Weatherby quote. The Heathrow fight was nice. And the showdown (at least the first part of it) with DD is great.

Good work.

JBern replied:

Sorry for the return of the shakes.   It'll be 2 more weeks for chapter 2, but I think you'll find it interesting.~Jim

Miles Hance posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 11:37am for I was Born to Run

what can be said? i've read all of your other stories at some point, and this one excites me just as much, if not more. bungle was beyond a great start, and this looks to be even better.

if i had to say anything, i'd say concentrate on turn me loose and the lie i'be lived. as for your third story, whose name escapes me at the moment, it's good, but these two are better. partially, it's just the style in which you write. the premise for the lie i've lived, it jumps the shark on the time travel motif and the upgraded harry in a VERY good way. in regards to that, i'm all for a harry/fleur pairing. perhaps you should focus on the fact that they are both underdogs, fighting against people's preconcieved notions of them. fleur as some kind of sex kitten/barbie doll, and harry as hero or villan alternately.

in regards to turn me loose, perhaps 3 things need to be adressed off the bat. one, how badly will harry whip the weasleys who crossed him, and hermy funbags? perhaps calling her that in public in the great hall would be quite therapeutic. I have an idea for a great line for Ron:

Harry: "Ickle Ronnekins. How nice to see you again. I'd like to assure you, I'm quite sure I could cast all three Unforgivables, and you and most of the Weasels have given me the...proper motivation."

modify that line however you see fit, if you use it.

the second thing taht would need addressing will be luna, and that dynamic. it would have to be delicate work, telling luna at some point that harry has a child with another woman and the reasons behind that. he should at least be honest with her.

third, how to further dodge dumbledore. the old man's oath surely is'nt the end of his attempts to get one over on harry, and you have to take that into consideration.

again, great stories! just...think about putting your harry/susan bones story on hold. the lie i've lived and turn me loose...they just seem better, in my opinion.

JBern replied:

I'll jump in and reply to this one real fast.   I appreciate the sentiments and thank you for the review.  

In most instances, I do my best to accomodate reader requests, but in this case I won't.   The reason is simple.   As an author staring at a story that is in sight of a definite conclusion, I can't shrug off To Fight the Coming Darkness with only three chapters and a half written epilogue left.   Call me greedy, but there is a sense of achievement in hitting the complete button on a story.

Longtime readers might remember that I put Darkness on hold while I finished the last few chapters of Bungle back in March/April.   As Darkness is my first posted fanfic, it is important to me to get it done.   I agree it's not my strongest story, but I can't justify shelving it so close to the finish line.

I hope that clarifies my position.   Originally, I wasn't going to post TML until I had Darkness wrapped, but I made a few promises to people to post it by the end of August.

Regards,

Jim

rekdivr posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 9:34am for I was Born to Run

Thank you for continuing this verse. I absolutely love this storyline and your method of telling it. While I like your other stories, the updates to this one have made me late for work because I didn't want to wait. Tell the Alpha Fight Club thanks for getting you writing this one again.

JBern replied:

AFC is a great bunch of people.   Sorry about making you late for work.   Hope it was worth it.~Jim

Phoenixdor Dragonclaw posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 8:42am for I was Born to Run

WOOt Great start!! I can't wait to see Harry's reunion with all of his "friends", and their reaction to his troll.

JBern replied:

Ron, I've replaced you with a troll and it's an upgrade!   Thanks for the reveiw.~Jim

Jason Huitt posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 8:34am for I was Born to Run

I stopped reading Bungle in the Jungle a while back. Just the other day, I got an email update saying that this was posted. It was when I read the summary that I decided to go back and finish Bungle. I did that today and read this first part. The only complaint that I have is that the second one is not ready. I'm anxious to see Harry's reunion with the ones that called themselves his friends and I also can't wait to see how he handles being around a Luna Lovegood who is the most real version that I have ever read.

Congratulations on TWO well written tales. I look forward to the next email that tells me that the next part is ready. Thanks for reminding me that while JKR is through with Harry, that does not mean that there are not more stories involving the Boy who lived just waiting to be discovered.

Jason Huitt

JBern replied:

Well, welcome back to the story.   I'm juggling a good number of projects these days, but this one is never far from my twisted mind.~Jim

00_Knight posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 8:04am for I was Born to Run

Yay! I truly believe that out of the three (I count this one as part of Bungle) stories posted here, this one is the best!

Can't wait for next update.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   Chapter 2 in 2 more weeks.~Jim

Wookie13 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 7:31am for I was Born to Run

Yeah!!!!! I am so glad that you have finally posted the second part to Bungle in the Jungle. Nice action in this first chapter. I would have held Dumblebutt to a stricter oath about not interferring in Harry's life and all information that DD has kept from Harry and about Harry had to be presented in the next week and as soon as possible for everything new that dd learns about Harry that Harry may or may not know. Also a relinquishing of any and all control that dd has on Harry's money would have been good as well. Otherwise I look forward to the next chapter.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Comprimises must be made.   Naturally, DD knew he was going to be forced into an oath for a while now.   I'd guess he made a few preparations, wouldn't you?~Jim

Ravenclawchaser68 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 7:29am for I was Born to Run

Fantastic chapter! Your take on the cursed necklace was great, and Harry's dual citizenship was pretty inventive as well. "Non-stop roller coaster ride" sounds pretty good to me. I can't wait to see the chaos Harry wreaks in Hogwarts. Thanks for writing!

JBern replied:

I'm glad you're enjoying it.   I don't forsee Harry getting a breather for quite some time.~Jim

Loopy Dane posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 6:34am for I was Born to Run

frickin' awesome chapter! Great fight scene at the airport. The Ambassador Potter was an interesting twist, I look forward to seeing what a pain in Harry's a** it ends up being, but 36 fighters at your command should be helpful...
Thank you for sharing your time and talent with us.

JBern replied:

Thanks for the compliments.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.   Next chapter coming in 2 short weeks.~Jim

taxzombie posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 6:31am for I was Born to Run

A most excellent continuation of the Bungle in the Jungle saga.

Got a good laugh out of your description of Hack.

This is a very hard Harry, but still beneath that hardness is the old one, the one that will give his all to save an innocent. Why else would he have done what he did for Katie.

Looking forward to following this. There are still many that have debts to be paid and I look forward to reading how Harry collects them.

JBern replied:

Good to see you still around and suriving another harrowing tax season.   Much more of Harry's particular blend of subtleness coming soon!~Jim

Voldemort is Dead posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 3:31am for I was Born to Run

I like it! Keep on going!

JBern replied:

I'll do my best.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

Meteoricshipyards posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 3:14am for I was Born to Run

Wonderful! The roller coaster is off to a great start! Sneaky bit about "ambassador".

Thank you so much for this. I'm really looking forward to more.

Tom A.
(Yes, I'm working on the next chapter of my story, and I'm cleaning up last years NaNoWriMo so I'll have 2 stories in the works again)

JBern replied:

Thanks.   If I had told you about the ambassador and citizenship part at the end of Bungle, it wouldn't have been fun now would it?   You all like to have fun don't you?   Next chapter, you finally find out what the hell Dumbledore was thinking.   That should be more unexpected fun?~Jim

DrT posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 2:33am for I was Born to Run

The ending was quite surprising, but I did enjoy the whole chapter, esp. Harry's dealings with the British powers that be

"T"

JBern replied:

Glad you liked.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.   I didn't want to go overboard with the political stuff, but large chunks of it needed to be done.~Jim

wagner7144 posted a comment on Saturday 1st September 2007 2:07am for I was Born to Run

*ejaculates*

JBern replied:

Kinda creeps me out, but good for you...