Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

lwj2 posted a comment on Thursday 25th October 2012 7:24pm for Unlikely Allies

I like it, the ultimate sneak play, a vote by the revanchist element for Ginny is a vote for the traditionalist lot fronted by Draco.

Forever&3moreSeconds posted a comment on Tuesday 26th January 2010 3:01pm for Unlikely Allies

Well, I think it is good in the context of a one-shot challenge response, however, I advise against continuing it. It does occasionally read like you are writing, although well, merely for the sake of getting to the end; your heart doesn't seem to be in this to a certain extent. This is actually the first of your stories I have read, I'm starting from the bottom of your list for a change. However, judging by the number of times I have found 'Bungle in the Jungle' on favourite lists back on FFnet, I anticipate reading the rest of your stories.
Ruth =)

snood199 posted a comment on Saturday 31st October 2009 8:00am for Unlikely Allies

I like the scheming. Nice job :)

koppe posted a comment on Monday 17th November 2008 1:05am for Unlikely Allies

Great little piece, though I would love to know what will happen next -- how will Hermione take this suggestion, what will others say, will she become Headmistress? ...and I would like to know what has happened prior to this.

JBern replied:

I don't really plan to continue this one, but thanks for the review.~Jim

Brad Coleman posted a comment on Friday 13th June 2008 1:15pm for Unlikely Allies

Hi there.. Love your work.
The following is cut and pasted from [CaerAzkaban] Re: Our story so far... [Calum Wallace et al - multi-insert project] - Chapter 1

START QUOTE
Note that I'm considering modelling 'our'
Sorting Hat on the acerbic antisocial version from jbern's 'The Lie
I've Lived' as that particular Sorting Hat is always a hoot. Jbern,
if you're reading this, is that cool? If anyone reading this knows
Jbern and Jbern doesn't see this, can you check with him if it's
cool for us to missapropriate his Hat? Thanks.
END QUOTE

Basically some writers from the CaerAzkaban newsgroup are doing a multiple Self Insert fic, where they all choose various characters from HP (apart from HP himself) and go from there.

I suggested in a reply to this quote that they get you to do the sorting hat. If you want to get in touch with them, the email address is
thecanineone@hotmail.co.uk

Regards Brad

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I emailed them and said if they wanted to use it to go ahead.   I just don't have the time, but hopefully I'll give them some nice source material.~Jim

UdderPD posted a comment on Wednesday 7th May 2008 9:17am for Unlikely Allies

Personally I am glad that you will be back to your regular stories shortly.

Just a small bitch; it's not you it's canon. - Why wasn't Draco kissed ... he was responsible for Dumbledore's death?

TTFN UdderPD

JBern replied:

I wasn't too thrilled with the challenge, but did it anyway.   I'm happy to be back to my regular stories as well.   Thanks for taking the time to review this one.~Jim

Robert Peeples posted a comment on Wednesday 7th May 2008 2:20am for Unlikely Allies

I usually hate these two when combined, but this was an excellent read.

JBern replied:

Thank you for the review.   I'm finally catching up on my backlog of review replies.   I hope you continue on and enjoy some of my other stories as well.~Jim

Vukk posted a comment on Friday 2nd May 2008 10:03pm for Unlikely Allies

Pretty funny actually, maybe a sequel showing the reactions with the book/money and the new headmistress...

JBern replied:

Maybe.   I wasn't too thrilled with the challenge.   I might try some other one shots.~Jim

Gardengirl posted a comment on Tuesday 29th April 2008 2:25pm for Unlikely Allies

Hey Jim, nice job with a prompt that didn't really move you. Thanks for sharing.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Finally catching up on all my review replies.   Glad you liked it.~Jim

Fenris Ulf posted a comment on Sunday 27th April 2008 11:26am for Unlikely Allies

This fits nicely into the end of the cannon story and seems to be a plausible scenario. I agree that the epilogue to book 7 left alot to be desired but it does open up alot of avenue for fanfiction to fit between the end and the epilogue...

JBern replied:

I did my best to come up with a believable scenario that took place in between the end of books seven and then that awful epilogue.   Normally, I would have just left book 7 alone,  but one of my regulars challenged me to take it on.

Regards,

Jim

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Sunday 27th April 2008 11:13am for Unlikely Allies

It may only be a one shot, but it's a hilarious one with a lot of nice backstory scattered throughout. There's enough detail to make things thoroughly plausible and enough nice touches to bring a smile, if not laughter, throughout.

Bravo!!

JBern replied:

I went the open ended route because I wanted to imply a longer story without actually having to write it.   Had I actually  been more interested in the two characters I was assigned, I might have gone a different route.   Thanks for the review.   We now return you to our regular update schedule.

Regards,

Jim

Ben Russell-Gough posted a comment on Sunday 27th April 2008 2:45am for Unlikely Allies

This is an interesting enough thought experiment. I always wondered how the events of DH would have changed Draco and this is a definate possible answer to that question.

What I really liked was the small background details - the tension between Draco and his mother-in-law, the power of the 'DA Old Girls' gossip network and the fact that Harry has to defend James, Albus and Lily from a certain love-to-the-point-of-smothering grandmother.

Another good point here is that Draco is still, fundamentally, Draco. He is a bit wiser and has changed some of his personal politics, but his essential personality is completely recognisable. You have changed Ginny but only how she would have grown into her role as a noble pureblood matron. Her public/business 'persona' would be as seen here, scarily reminiscent of Narcissa Malfoy.

Let's face it - Harry is a good man but it too Gryffindor for more than the most basic political work. Having a Slytherin on side is simply recruiting the best talent for the job.

Overall, I liked reading this. If I have a quibble it is the fact that it has the feel of a cut scene. It is open ended and fails to really have a clear point as it has been removed from its context.

BenRG's Rating: 7/10

JBern replied:

Thank you for the review.   I went for the open ended version and tried to imply as much back story is possible giving it the appearance of a larger story without actually having to write it.   In some senses it worked, but in others has you have pointed out, it doesn't quite make the grade.   Still, it's not about a piece, but I don't think I'll be pursuing it further.

Thanks again.  

Jim

Shadowglen posted a comment on Sunday 27th April 2008 12:19am for Unlikely Allies

I find it ironic that those authors who state they dislike certain character often portray those same characters the best. Perhaps its because they know what's wrong with them. Regardless, I found this semi-plot line quite novel and interesting. Disappointing that it is not going to be continued but frankly, I want you to finish your other works.

Still, well done. I hope you won that challenge.

Best regards,

Shadowglen

JBern replied:

I don't necessarily know that there was a winner and loser to the challenge but since I signed up I figured I'd come up with something.

I also would rather be working on my other stuff but  I signed up for so there you go.

We now return you to your regular update schedule.   Please sit back, return your tray table to the upright position, and enjoy.

Regards,

Jim

thangmo posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 10:12pm for Unlikely Allies

wait for your next chapter in "The Lie I've Lived". It's a bit long since last update so I think I should tell you that you still have your fan wait for your fiction. I really love your story and would like to see what is to happen next. I thik it's one of the best AU fanfiction I have ever read[which I read a lot]. bye

JBern replied:

This is probably the third time I've tried a reply to this review.   My idiotic voice recognition technology doesn't seem to be working as well as advertised.  

Thanks for the review.   I will be working on updates to my regular stories this week.   Turn me loose chapter six is on deck first.

Regards,

Jim

Nanio posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 10:38am for Unlikely Allies

Wow, I didn't know you were doing original work. I'll have to keep an eye on your homepage now.

Considering that the both of us are not fond of either of these two characters, I thought the scene was rather entertaining. Both were very professional, creative, and actually managed to stay in character the whole time. I think it was very well done.

JBern replied:

Yes, I have a lot of original stuff coming down the pipeline.   I enjoy writing this, but I hope to turn my hobby into something that I can do for both fun and profit.

Glad you found a short piece to be entertaining.   We now return you to your regularly scheduled updates.

Regards,

Jim

Viridian posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 9:09am for Unlikely Allies

Interesting. You picked a good way to find common ground between them, but I'm not completely sold on Draco becoming part of a reform movement as he appears to be in here. Is this an outgrowth of the deal between Harry and Narcissa near the end of DH?

JBern replied:

That's a good question.   I've only manage to  skim through deathly hallows and I'm not quite aware of all the particulars of that arrangement.   If I had any other characters assigned to me, I doubt I would have gone the post book seven route.

Anyway thanks for the review and  I'm glad you found it to be interesting.

Jim

loralee posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 5:14am for Unlikely Allies

Very nice and to my mind at least believable. :)

JBern replied:

Thank you very much for the compliment.   I'm glad the scene came off as a believable one.

Regards,

Jim

Alex Trusk posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 2:20am for Unlikely Allies

Didn't mean to sound harsh, btw. Saw you had a new fic up and was sort of hoping it would be similar to your other work, which I pretty much always enjoy. Got me all excited =P

JBern replied:

No worries.   I took on the challenge and got what I consider to be a crappy draw.   A friend of mine challenge me to do something different with it and if the good live up to your expectations I apologize.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled updates.   Please return your tray table to the upright position, buckle your seat belts and sit back and enjoy.

Regards,

Jim

Alex Trusk posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 2:19am for Unlikely Allies

I'm glad you don't plan to continue this. It's... not enjoyable. Characterization was bland and their dialogue wasn't even remotely interesting. After reading this I just sort of thought "What was the point of that?".

Definitely looking forward to updates from your regular fics, though.

JBern replied:

I don't know.   So far the reviews have been mostly positive.   That leads me to believe that I have done at least an adequate job with the challenge.

Regards,

Jim

Banner posted a comment on Saturday 26th April 2008 1:32am for Unlikely Allies

You may not like Ginny or Draco, but you present them as intelligent and mature adults. The insider trading and the politicking are fun to read, and highly realistic. That was a pleasure. Thank you.

JBern replied:

As always, thank you for compliments.   I'm glad that you enjoyed this little piece even if my disdain for the two main characters was plainly stated.

Regards,

Jim