Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Blackstone4005 posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 8:22am for Closets and Secrets

I adore the byplay with Harry and Hat.

Please post a "warning --- imbibing liquids while reading this segment is ill advised." Coffee is rather painful coming out the nostrils.

I'll pay any galleons you like for the Sorting Hat's Nantucket song. It could be the Weird Sister's next big hit.

Outstanding job...thanks again for another great read.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Sorry about the coffee.   That probably hurt.   Just be more careful next time.   I don't really know if I can do the Hat's Nantucket song justice from what your imagining.   I might try, but I don't want to slow down my writing for that.~Jim

Faceless posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 7:04am for Closets and Secrets

I have to say this is my favourite of your stories, and I look forward to Snape's reaction to the new Jamesified Harry. I imagine him victoriously announcing to the world that he was right all along about Harry, and the rest of the staff fervently agreeing with him.

Does HJ know exactly how to play McGonagall now?

I have to wonder if you're planning to alienate Ron in favour of Neville in this story. The scenario for such an occurance seems to have some firm foundation with the advent of this chapter.

More Weasley Twins punishment please. Whilst I love them, they're too often portrayed as infallibly and intrinsically loyal to Harry, and I have to admit to enjoying the change of pace here. I imagine HJ will quite easily be able to find other uses for his winnings.

I'm generally (I say generally because this comment is spread across all three of your stories) impressed with the believable details you are able to add to pre-existing elements of the HP-verse. Prime examples of which include new Quidditch maneuvers, HJ's thoughts on Ireland's tactics, as well as many more incidental Quidditch tidbits, and the spell chaining you developed for Bungle.

If it isn't too much to ask, I would like to borrow a couple of your ideas for my own use. Specifically Spell Chaining and Dodgespell.

Keep writing, and I'll keep reading.
Ps. You've officially earned my first reply (review?) to a story on this site.

JBern replied:

Part of the 'hook' of this story was what if Harry really was just like his father....

Thanks for stopping in to review.   Feel free to borrow spellchaining or dodgespell.   On my fanfiction(dot)net profile, you'll see the basic rules for dodgespell.

I'm glad you enjoy the little details that help the reader suspend their disbelief.   I think it is what makes the stories work.

As for your question, HJ thought he knew how to handle teenaged girls, he probably thinks he knows how he can play McGonagall as well.   He could be just as wrong!~Jim

Matthew Sands posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 6:17am for Closets and Secrets

Ah, the only thing funnier in a Harry Potter fic than Harry as a Man-Whore, Harry failing at being a Man-Whore.

Also good use of the butterfly effect, things are starting to change, but not in a drastic if not nonsensical fashion. Of course, that's only going to accelerate from this point on.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   He wants to be a man-ho, just not with the teenybopper set, but you and I know there's a certain French Girl out there.   Will he crash and burn?~Jim

MonkeyAxman1302 posted a comment on Tuesday 12th June 2007 5:09am for Closets and Secrets

Great chapter. Particularly liked Katie mentioning the banana split. Harry trying to seduce penny was also funny.

The sorting hats idea for a song was also very funny sounding, shame you can't use it.

You know now because of this story Rebel Goddess is obsessed that I'm the Sorting Hat and has started calling me it. She made a dirty comment so she is now the Sorting Beret, I said that must be what Beauxbatons uses!

You should indeed be proud at how quickly you've reached the end of summer. I think it must be easier with a slightly more comical story. You don't have to set up so much epic plot.

Only complaint would be Bill and Charlie Weasley don't seem like they did in Book 4. I know Ginny is trying to act mature, but it still seems a bit odd. Bill shouting at Harry made me think maybe Molly was using Polyjuice potion to pretend to be him.
"I think you’d best mind you manners and remember where you are, young man." - just hardly seems right for who we suppose to be the "cool" 20 something older brother.

Thanks for writing.
Monkey

JBern replied:

Even cool   brothers don't like to see their baby sister trying to act like a woman.   They also don't like the way that HJ snapped at them.   Plus, word from the twins is that he was snogging everything and anything at the party!

The Hat is based a bit off of my interpetations of the comedy of Dennis Miller and Sam Kinnison - sometimes highbrow, but often vulgar.   You must be a very fun guy!

Using 1st person allowed me to narrow the scope of the story and still make the 30K that has been written so far useful to build the character.~Jim

Wolfric posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 5:53pm for Closets and Secrets

Maybe HJ can charm the hat invisible and use a sticking charm and affix it to Umbridge for a while; of course they might get on famously. W.

JBern replied:

If it goes to a sequel the Hat and Delores!   There's a match made in heaven.   DD might let her have his office just to see what would happen.~Jim

Wolfric posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 5:44pm for Closets and Secrets

Good chapter, I see that the additional experience that Harry has access to doesn't allow him to understand the fair sex. I'm convinced that by the time understanding is approached the urgency of the need has diminished. The setup for the next chapter is intriguing. Thanks for writing. W.

JBern replied:

I'll be 38 in August and I don't understand the fair sex.   I often joke that I'd like to go back to being 18 when I had all the answers.   Now, I'm lucky if I know the questions!~Jim

Jim_xinu posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 3:23pm for Closets and Secrets

Good chapter. Although I am pleased to see some action coming up--other than HJ's women troubles.

So are you going to come up with some way for Hat to continue hanging with HJ back at Hogwarts? It's been the #2 leading character so far. :-)

Thanks for sharing this with us.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I'm guessing Fawkes will bring the Hat to HJ whenever it needs a break, but I"m not going to write the Hat out of the story.   Where would the fun be in that?~Jim

Manatheron posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 3:11pm for Closets and Secrets

Your not going to use the mentioned Lyrics? I'm so hurt! ;-)

It's interesting to watch HJ adapting to the hat's caustic wit and Humour, almost as much as the female quandry he finds himself in. I can't help but wonder what's going to happen with crouch though, did he get his hands on someone elses wand? Or has he found a different way to raise Kain?

JBern replied:

I never quite understood why Crouch Jr. goes all the way up into the press box and steals a wand from the BWL does nothing with it there and simply leaves.   It's never made the least bit of sense.~Jim

skulLXeon posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 1:39pm for Closets and Secrets

lol...
i see that Harry remains a marauder even if he's not sure who he is...
got both Fred and George....
good chap...
see you around... when you update...
=D

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I'm glad you liked it.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

Yo posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 11:40am for Closets and Secrets

Wow! I suppose it is a sign of the pranker's maturity that they have problems receiving but not giving - I definitely hope that Harry/James keeps that tidbit in mind. In anycase, nice to see he is not perfect and can still grow. Oh yeah, if Harry hates secrets so much, should he not be trying to hide his own massive secret? Or his own plans?

Geez, the hat is a blast as always! And nice slight of hand with Hermione. Aw, too bad Katie will be left with Ginny, just trying to be "friends." I wonder if his relationship experience, and his usage of it, should make me more disenchanted with him...

Yay, close to the start of the year - this should be abudant with interesting details, like what will happen with Neville, him, and his promise. Heh, then there is the hat...

I hope you update soon!

JBern replied:

No one really has ever shown the twins getting pranked.   It can be assumed that Bill and Charlie probably did, but they've been gone awhile.   I thought it would be interesting to show that the twins can't really take a joke.

Well there's secrets and then there are secrets.   HJ doesn't like keeping his secret that he has all of James' memories, but he can't exactly go and announce it out loud can he?   He also knows Voldy will eventually comeback and he'll have to fight him.   James fought him and died.   HJ is counting on the fact that Voldy won't be expecting someone with actual skills.   So he hates all these trivial secrets, but he'll try and keep the one that's going to keep him alive.   Hope that makes sense.   Thanks for the review.~Jim

Cuey posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 10:02am for Closets and Secrets

Heh. Looks good so far. Blackmailing a painting is far less common than threatening to destroy a painting (Mrs. Black), so kudos for that. I was a little confused for a minute, I was under the impression that HJ wasn't going to sleep around at first (or try to anyway.) But as soon as I realized he was going after older girls it made sense. In my defense I was reading this after work so I was a little tired. Anyway, keep up the good work.

JBern replied:

That's his problem.   The older girls won't want to have anything to do with him and the younger ones make him feel like a pedo-creep.   Tough situation.   Glad you liked blackmailing the healer's portrait.~Jim

Aaran St Vines posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 9:52am for Closets and Secrets

Here you go, giving us every indication of another crude-fest, and then you go and have HJ so caring about Frank and Alice, and making such a fine commitment to them to care for Neville during the school year coming.

Now we have a good old JBern battle scene to look forward to.

Great chapter. Cheers!

JBern replied:

James had deep feelings for Frank and Alice.   Frank was something like James' older brother during his time at Hogwarts.

You mean you're looking forward to the battle and not what the sorting hat will be singing?~Jim

Taegeous posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 9:10am for Closets and Secrets

Great chapter Jim. Looking forward to seeing Harry kick some DE a-double-s.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Next chapter in about 2 weeks.~Jim

dave84768768 posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 8:07am for Closets and Secrets

What can I say??? Excellent job old boy! Hope to see more from your rather perverted imagination. This story has made me laugh quite hard. Please sir, may I have another.

JBern replied:

Glad you enjoyed it.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

kainboa posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 6:55am for Closets and Secrets

abso-blodey-lutely hilarious, i would love to get the lyrics to that song bout the witch in nantucket.

keep up the great work :)

JBern replied:

I don't know if I can really make that song.   It's probably best left to the imagination.~Jim

MLBiela88 posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 5:50am for Closets and Secrets

Because I'm a lazy person, and would rather read these and not review, i haven't reviewed any of your work. I have to say that I love how you put the reader into the first-person perspective and keep it interesting. Bungle was an awesome story to read and i cant wait for the sequel. This story is coming out excellent as well. You really know how to write. Rock on!

JBern replied:

Well thanks for breaking your  silence.   I'm glad you enjoy my work and hope to keep impressing you.~Jim

rune1806 posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 5:44am for Closets and Secrets

hi come on clearwater really!!! you can do so much better than that, funny though. now we will get to see some blood on the ground, just do not forget someone has already used a gaint panther, lol. great update

JBern replied:

Well HJ's a Pronghorn.   That might be useful for mobility especially because the campground still has anti-apparition wards on it.... Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

Meteoricshipyards posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 4:54am for Closets and Secrets

Skip the sorting hat song.

Love the angry Weasleys. Mostly it's their own fault.

One problem - with a sarcastic Harry, it's sometimes difficult to know when he's being sarcastic and when he's not; in particular, did he really not know why the weasleys were mad at him?

Yea! Luna makes an appearance. Hope you give her a good part.

Looking forward to HJ kicking some Death Eater ass in the next chapter.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more.

Tom A.

JBern replied:

Luna will probably only have a guest cameo appearances here and there.   Yes.   HJ was being sarcastic.   He knew exactly why the male Weasleys didn't particularly approve of him.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

cjonbloodletter posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 4:53am for Closets and Secrets

Hey man, pretty good, though a little on the uneventful side of things, chappie. I like the character developement that you have going on, one of h things I like about your works is the fact that they breath new life into the characters that JKR made then threw away. keep up the good work, can't wait for the next chapter.
Cheers,
Cjon the Bloodletter

JBern replied:

It was a long chapter, but necessary for building the character.   Glad you liked it.~Jim

MrRobertsIII posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 4:16am for Closets and Secrets

This fic has the feel of a time travel fic with the standard more mature Harry but without the sometimes annoying angst and surprise killing fore-knowledge.

The hat's prank had me laughing.

Dark!Penny? Hope not. Works fine in the other fic but would be a bit odd in this one.



JBern replied:

Well, that's what I was shooting for.   I really enjoyed writing the Hat's prank.   As for Penny, I through that in there to poke fun at my other story, which I need to be working on.   No bad Penny turning up here, despite HJ's wishes.   ~Jim