Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Decumo9 posted a comment on Monday 6th April 2009 12:34am for The Dykstra Shuffle

man lupin and lily...thats kinda becoming more common these days, that lily and lupin had something before lily and james got together. But your the explicit first ive seen to say lily cheated on james. Your a gritty writer, and its refreshingly nice, life isnt peachy keen, and too many stories are full of flowers and rainbows and dancing unicorns. Great writing sir.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I work really hard on making the story enjoyable.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.   Chapter 22 is with the editors for a final check.   It should be released over the weekend.

MonkeyAxman1302 posted a comment on Wednesday 11th February 2009 3:44am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Wow, wow and double wow! That was superb. Where to start with the compliments; with the "Cranial-rectal extraction" or the last interaction between Dumbles and HJ! A Dumbledore who know's who the Rolling Stones are is pretty funny in its own right.

Also, such an inventively funny way to deal with the tasks. Very much playing to James Potter's strengths of pranking rather than Harry's strength in flying. Just so brilliant.

I love the name of the chapter and what a "dykstra shuffle" turns out to be. Really had me on the edge of my seat when Aimee got caught and I must say I think you did a very, very good magical "medical" scene as you phrase it. Like Poppy's "I'm doing a cut and bubble"; which sounds so brillianty medical and contemporary and funny and magical all at the same time. That alone is genius my friend!

Its good to see the differences between stories again; Fawkes being friendly with HJ rather than against him as he is in TML.

Can't wait for more, oh wait lucky old me still has one more chapter to catch up on. Still I wish it was more!

Thanks for writing!
Monkey

JBern replied:

Thanks again for the compliments.   Glad you liked my version of the magical medical scene.~Jim

hpkuarg posted a comment on Friday 26th December 2008 5:46am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Wow, your stories are really good. I enjoy everything you're doing here, great stuff. Thanks!

JBern replied:

Thanks for the review.   Chapter 19 is in the works.~Jim

Rexnos posted a comment on Friday 19th December 2008 1:16pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Excellent. That chapter was a lot of fun and I don't think I've ever read anything like it in the HP fandom. Lots of people touch on healing, but if there was ever anything that intense I've certainly never read it.

As for the HP/Fleur interaction, it was fairly low key but interesting. Slow relationships in fan fiction are better anyway. I'm not sure how they'll get together though with Fleur so opposed to it. I suppose I'll find out.

Later,
Rex

JBern replied:

Thanks for the review.   Sorry for the long delay in my reply to this one.   Chapter 19 will be out soon.~Jim

Joel Aarhus posted a comment on Friday 19th December 2008 9:18am for The Dykstra Shuffle

I love the spell's you make up! Most people suck at it. But you slide thing's you made up in like its always been that way.

JBern replied:

Thank you for the compliment.   I'm working on chapter 19 as soon as I catch up on all my review replies.

Regards,

Jim

LordHades posted a comment on Wednesday 17th December 2008 7:29am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Truly a wonderful fic. There were many lol moments all along. The way you've handled Harry, the Hat and the Tournament is superb.

The Puzzle Room and the Race were really wonderful events. You truly write like a pro.

JBern replied:

I try.   Thanks for the compliments.   I'm finally catching up on my reviews.   Hopefully, in a few weeks (mid February) you'll be in a position to give my original anthology a try.

Regards,

Jim

Jim_xinu posted a comment on Wednesday 17th December 2008 3:57am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Great chapter.

I was mildly disappointed that the dragon challenge wasn't changed more, but the way you had the different champions handle it, and especially Aimee's injury, really made it your own.

I'm also digging HJ's new relationship with DD.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

JBern replied:

Thanks again for this and all your other reviews.   I'm almost caught up!~Jim

koppe posted a comment on Tuesday 16th December 2008 11:10pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Great chapter.

Hope some heads will roll for pitting children against dragons.

I really hope Aimee will be alright... that she'll survive, that they'll save her arm -- and that she won't be disfigured.

That said, saving her friend in such a self-sacrificing way, surely must earn HJ some brownie-points with Fleur.

Funny prank played on the twins.

Only thing I missed in this chapter, was more of the obnoxious Hat... ripping into the twins was hardly even a challenge.

I'm looking forward to who and how will be serving/treating whom to breakfast, lunch and dinner... ought to be a few good laughs there.

Keep up the great work, and please update soon.

JBern replied:

Thanks for the review.   Sorry for the long delayed reply.   I'm off to start on chapter 19 now!~Jim

The Crow posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 9:35pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Don't forget that James was still only 22 or something, 17 isn't a stretch for him.
Although I'll admit, fourteen is limiting, he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet right?

Ah well, it can wait until after summer. 15 and 18 isn't quite as bad.

I figured HJ wouldn't take this event conventionally, he may have lacked points, but he sure wins on style.
The twins will be glad to see this one payed off however.

Was confused on overall points, until I re-read it and realised you were talking about overall points.

JBern replied:

I'm sure something will turn up before I finish this story (around chapter 25).   Thanks for the review, more coming soon.~Jim

marcelhm posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 7:31pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

gaaah, it isn't even a cliffie and still I can't stand the wait, I'm deciding here did you make or ruin my day with this great chapter ^^. I won't bore you with more more, so I'll just say thanks for the enjoyment once again and I'll be waiting for more!! :P

JBern replied:

Your wait is almost over.   The next chapter will be ready soon.~Jim

fyrecat posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 6:36pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

HAHAHA!!! Everyone's a critic! Haha!
...And how does Dumbles know who the Stones are anyway?!?!
WOO HOO! Finally another chapter! - and already it's too long before the next.

Cool Ideas for overcoming the dragon tasks, and really interesting what you're doing with HJ's healing knowledge.

Love it as usual.
Thanks!

JBern replied:

Still catching up on review replies.   Thanks for this one as well.   It says on DD's chocolate frog card that he enjoys muggle bowling.   He could have easily heard them there...

Faceless posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 11:01am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Reviewing again over the Cho name controversy.

Cho is definitely her given name. I have quite a few Asian friends and even though their names follow the convention of family first and given name second, nobody goes around calling them by their family names. Everyone calls Cho Chang by the name Cho so there's no question about it.

Now for a bit of useless trivia:
Cho is a japanese name and it means butterfly. Chang is a chinese name and it means free/uninhibited.

I guess Rowling thought it would be funny to make her token Asian character an amalgimation of two different cultures...

JBern replied:

Good points on the Cho debate.   Sorry that I'm just now getting to it.   In this case I'll stick with the way I have it, but I'll go with the accepted way in my other stories.~Jim

baumgal2 posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 10:03am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Delightful! Well written stories seem to be rare species these days, thank you for this.

JBern replied:

Thank you.   I apologize for my delinquent reply.   More of this story coming soon.~Jim

dave g posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 6:28am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Very well done. A minor note about bedside manners, Harry wasn't being nasty to a patient, but to an interfering arse. His BM were fine, it's his diplomatic skills that were - well, if she wasn't french I'd say lacking...

JBern replied:

Sorry for the lengthy delay in my reply, but thank you for your review.   I'm finally catching up on my delinquent replies before I start chapter 19.~Jim

amulder posted a comment on Monday 15th December 2008 2:08am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Howlers. Brilliant.

Remus... err, not so brilliant (for them that is.) There's no way to cleanly solve that anytime soon without bringing him into the fold.

Hope Aimee doesn't lose her arm, that would be tragic.

Hilarious, mature, and completely unexpected, to have Fleur and HJ just calmly discussing a potential relationship like that. Brilliant.
Still, friendship would be a good start. One of them might suggest that.

thanks for sharing
...art

JBern replied:

Wow.   I'm really behind on my responses for this story.   Sorry about that.   More coming soon.   I'm starting on the chapter as soon as I clear out all my unreplied reviews.

dakinumas posted a comment on Sunday 14th December 2008 6:03pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Cho Chang, Cho is her first name and Chang is family name.
Great chapter! looking forwards to the next!

JBern replied:

No offense, but do understand that Eastern culture is different from western culture.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/surname  

surname (plural surnames)

  1. A name that indicates to which family a person belongs, normally following that person’s given name(s) in Western culture, in English included, and preceding it in Eastern.

When I was coming up with the name for Kwan Chang-Ho in the Bungle/TML series, I discovered that tidbit, so technically Cho is her surname and Chang is her first name, although you could make an argument about how long the Cho (or Chang family depending on your POV) has been living in the west and which convention they are following.   In this story, I interpeted it to be the traditional way which is why the made up aunt in this story is named Cho Ri.

Alex Austin posted a comment on Sunday 14th December 2008 5:11pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

This continues to be one of the best fanfictions I've read, possibly bar none.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   More coming soon.~Jim

Minerva Granger posted a comment on Sunday 14th December 2008 1:52pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

I never knew Dumbles was a Rolling Stones fan! I loved this one. I hope all goes well with Athena. And I vaguely look forward to seeing the bet discharged.

JBern replied:

I have some things in mind for that bet...

Shea' Motsko posted a comment on Sunday 14th December 2008 1:34pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

I think the French Minister should be droping to her knees and offering up her big fat mouth for one hell of a blowjob after that extreme bit of stupidity and arrogance. Harry just volunteered for a whole hell of unspeakable AGONY in the form of a dragon-fire scorched lung (without painkillers!) in an effort to save the girl's life and that bint acted as if Harry vomited on her best robe. That Mr Beaucourt couldn't be arsed to even acknowledge Harry really pisses me off too. I have a child and if someone suffered that kind of horror to save my child's life, they'd be my new best friend for life. Harry should be a hero in thier eyes, not the vilian.

JBern replied:

Well, Minister Beaucourt is

a) French (not a bad thing per se, but being in England and after seeing her daughter injured in this English tournament might dredge up a cultural bias that from her view the English are barbarians and how can her daughter get proper attention here.)

b) powerful/haughty

c) a politician

d) used to getting her way and having things taken care of without her having to fret over the details ( the famous "make it so Number 1" from ST: TNG)

Mister Beaucourt's action was more out of embarrassment for how the previous encounter went down.   He's being portrayed as the hen pecked husband in this one.

I agree with you and have 2 daughters of my own, but was trying to portray a certain level of arrogance and whatnot on behalf of the Beaucourt parents.

Thomas V. Sperl posted a comment on Sunday 14th December 2008 10:34am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Way hey,
nice bit of fiction you have going here (even nicer if you consider the pairing you are planing for the end - what i want to say is, that it is nice to find a Harry/Fleur fiction that is well written (not something like: Hey Fleur let's have sex...) as there seems to be a shortage of fictions with that pairing (and any other pairing that is not H/G or H/Hr...) - believe me, i have read my share of those that do exist and most are not really that well done) and i just wanted to say:
Thank you for such an entertaining read!
And please keep it up - i am looking forward to reading more of this fanfiction.
Cheers,
Thomas Sperl (that V. is just a fancy of mine - i don't really have a middle name)

JBern replied:

Thank you for the compliments.   I wanted to write "good" Harry/Fleur where she actually has a developed character instead of nymph like tendencies and the words "male-veela" and "soulmate" do not appear in the text at all.

The less you as a reader have to suspend your disbelief, the easier it is for me to immerse you in the story.

Regards,

Jim