Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

crazyP posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 4:23pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Great chapter I really liked it!!
I agree with Fluer HJ is too young for her, at least in appearence .
It would be really cool if he became a healer

JBern replied:

HJ has to survive all this, but it might be interesting to see HJ as a healer.

We'll see.~Jim

Secca posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 4:08pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Again, another great chapter. In my opinion, your idea on the roots of healing magic not only is a cool idea, it makes sense. Anyone can tell you that someone looking to specialize in causing physical pain needs to understand the body. A procedure used to cause pain, your skin grafting spell, can easily be adapted for a medical use with a little thought. Brilliant idea, strange that it has been thought of before. Thanks again for the chapter and I can't wait till the next one.

JBern replied:

Glad you appreciated the thought that went into the chapter.   Thanks.~Jim

TheHard posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 3:42pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Everyone's a critic, indeed! nice chapter, it was truly fun to read... and, about the magical "medical" scene, it was really something, so congratulations! :)

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.~Jim

stgilman10 posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 3:08pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Dumbledore's knowledge of the Rolling Stones and the fact that he deducted a point for a song other than his favorite is wonderfully in character.
You gave an interesting and certainly outside-the-box dragon solution for Harry, and I also applaud you for not making it a winning one in the eyes of the judges. You make your Harry work for his successes.
The only thing I don't like about this story is the Fred and George animosity. I understand your reasoning that Harry is essentially James, who is miles beyond F&G, but it's just disconcerting to see the twins against Harry. Pretty much every fic, including ones that are so far anti-Weasley they're just ridiculous, have the Twins on Harry's side.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   I'm exploring the possibility that James wouldn't have really cared for a bunch of wannabes trying to carry on the Marauder legacy.

Plus, I enjoy being seperate from the crowd and if that means F&G are buttheads who can't take it as well as dish it out - the so be it.

MarinePotterfan posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 2:43pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

I think the Harry helping Miss Beaucourt, will deffently put him in good with Fleur.

thanks for writing
MPF

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you liked it.~Jim

Faceless posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 2:04pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

I was really surprised by Aimee's tactics. I mean really, the Ron approach? She was asking to be roasted.

I hope she is okay and that the wonders of magic help her to a full recovery. Somehow I think you're going to be a bit cruel though and that she will lose that arm or have some other form of disfigurement.

I just hope Hat doesn't make any inappropriate comments about bacon while Aimee's around.

HJ deserved the win I think. Sure he took a long time but he was never in any danger and the dragon and all her eggs were left unharmed. It was noisy but also (oxymoronically) pretty subtle.

I'm interested to see where the whole romance thing goes from here.

Aimee is going to be incredibly greatful and if her boy doesn't show up (which I'm guessing he won't) then she's also going to be feeling a lot of resentment. There's also the question of how he reacts to any potential disfigurement in the unlikely event that he does turn up.

Fleur is also likely to be mightily impressed by HJ's actions (after she recovers from the distriss that is) but we also have the Animagus bombshell to come.

No doubt Krum is going to insist on payment despite Fleur's emotional termoil. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the scene (if you do choose to go down that route).

Keep the updates coming - I love every one of them! :)

JBern replied:

I thought Aimee's tactics were sound - blind it, disorient it with noise, sneak up on it and rope the egg.

Of course full recoveries take time and Aimee has the luxury of withdrawing from the competition, so it will be no surprise that the planned title to chapter 18 is ...And Then There Were Five...

Jim

Crys posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 12:39pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Oh, yeah. And whether Stephan shows up to Aimee's bedside will be important, I bet.

JBern replied:

Yes it will.

Crys posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 12:36pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

Clever use of a Switching Charm. And a great back-story for it, too. You've completely ignored the issues of transplant rejection, though. Though that could just be me being overly picky.

Remus. Hmm. You've just given the Marauder a clue. Though he's currently hurt, it'll start to make him think sooner or later. It's going to start unraveling, at least with him.

As always, entertaining story.

JBern replied:

You're forcing me to say this - it's magic.   It trumps tissue rejection.   Plus the lung will be shuffled back shortly.

Good point about Remus.   We'll see what happens.

Jim

vasilis01 posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 12:20pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

The Hat is everything in this story. Excellent update once again. Keep writing.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you enjoyed it.~Jim

Ltank687 posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 12:18pm for The Dykstra Shuffle

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU UPDATE!

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I'm glad you liked it.~Jim

noylj posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 11:48am for The Dykstra Shuffle

I can see wanting to get in Fleur's pants, but other than that she doesn't seem like much of a prize.
I also can't believe such a time-wasting complicated prank to get the egg. From what you described, Krum actually deserves to have won.
Love the story. Thanks for the update.

JBern replied:

True, Krum deserved to win this one.   HJ fell into a James Potter pitfall - he was trying to amuse himself with his own cleverness.

As for Fleur - James also had a thing for pursuing unattainable witches.

Ken Norton posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 11:42am for The Dykstra Shuffle

I laughed so hard at the line "We're a little busy here, so perhaps your physician can handle the cranial-rectal extraction". Please keep up the fantastic work you are doing on this story.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   More coming soon.~Jim

Patches posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 11:12am for The Dykstra Shuffle

This is an excellent chapter. I love the way Harry dealt with the dragon. No harm to either except the dragon's pride. I'm sorry that Alena was hurt so badly. It gave Harry a chance to do a really honorable thing to save her life. So it ends fairly well. I hope Alena can be completely healed. I look forward to more of this story. pms

JBern replied:

One of the things I strive to bring to this fantasy story is realism and a full recovery from such heinous injuries will take a long time.   Thanks for following along.~Jim

Renzo7 posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 10:52am for The Dykstra Shuffle

As always, an excellent work on this chapter. Very funny, entertaining and well written.

I hope you keep up the excellent work and update soon.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   More coming soon.~Jim

Bedrup posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 10:51am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Delighted.

JBern replied:

Thanks for this and all previous reviews.~Jim

sleep when your dead posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 10:37am for The Dykstra Shuffle

loved this chap can't wait for the next chapter

JBern replied:

It'll be a few weeks.   I'm working on TML chapter 11 now.~JIm

joeBob posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 10:24am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Another excellent chapter, thank you!

The HJ interaction, with everybody is especially well done. Nice break from the hat; I assume that it will be fully rested and recharged for next time? ;-)

~~~
Why would they "walk" patient beds around. This would be jarring and uncomfortable, and dangerous, for the patient. They would use silky smooth levitation.

"It should be a crime to cover any song by the Rolling Stones song other than Ruby Tuesday"
-- That *might* have been true *before* they released "Emotional Rescue"; it definitely isn't true after! ;-)

JBern replied:

Everyone is a critic, indeed.   Someone already chided me for not using the more appropriate "Play With Fire".

With her immobilized, the walking bed wasn't seen as a problem, but you're right.   Levitation would have been better.

Tora58 posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 9:58am for The Dykstra Shuffle

Good as always, this is probably my favorite piece of in progress fan fic by far...

I feel I should find something wrong with this chapter but, alas, I cannot.

Keep up the good work sir!

JBern replied:

Thanks for the compliment.~Jim

ShadeHawk posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 9:29am for The Dykstra Shuffle

I wonder how "Muggle" medicine would fare... perhaps not with burned lungs, but with large burn. Special gel, artificial skin, growing skin grafts... and which of those were present at that time...

BTW. Dykstra reminds me of Dijkstra (Edsger Wybe Dijkstra), famous computer scientist, one of main proponents of structured programming (famous "A Case against the GO TO Statement"). Intentional or accidental?

JBern replied:

I actually pulled Dykstra out of thin air.   Probably Lenny Dykstra - a famous baseball player.  

Magical medicine, in my view, has the edge.

Zicou posted a comment on Friday 12th December 2008 9:06am for The Dykstra Shuffle

waouh ...; that was great, awesome.
Continuuuuuuuuuue!
Z.

JBern replied:

I'll tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.