Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

stephanie posted a comment on Saturday 4th April 2009 3:47am

This is great can't wait to read more.

JBern replied:

Thanks!   More coming after I finish Lie.

Petunia Uphill posted a comment on Saturday 4th April 2009 3:30am

:D

This is fun! I have a soft spot for fics taking serious advantage of divination, and I don't think I've ever seen any as seriously humorous as this one before. I really like your humour - most take the humour to the extreme and I don't like that. Like watching one clown interacting with a bunch of normal persons is funier than watching ten clowns bumble in their own world, at least in the long run.

Er, yeah. Fun! Thanks! Looking forward to more!

JBern replied:

Hopefully, I can maintain that level of humor throughout - funny, but not forced.   You nice folks will tell me how well I pull it off.   Thanks for the review.

willyjoeshow posted a comment on Saturday 4th April 2009 2:11am

Different but good

JBern replied:

Thanks.   That's what I was aiming for.

Darryn posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 11:37pm

Nice - I look forward to reading more of this one.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   The rest of the story will go up after Lie is completed.

Lordamnesia posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 11:32pm

Wow, for a serious writer, you can do a humor fic with the best of them. This is fantastic! Keep up the incredible work!

JBern replied:

Well, I'm trying to round myself off as a writer and fanfic is what I use to test drive my ability to do a humor fic.   In my short story collection is one called Adventurer's Beware! which is a tongue in cheek look at all those RPG adventure games and what the townsfolk think of your ultracool band of adventurers.

The Crow posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 10:51pm

"Harry didn’t bother to mention that he was pointing at Dudley when the teacher saw him cheating"
I love that part. Harry seems to have a few quirks to him already, a little dotty, but quite bright.

Infact, I must admit, I've never read a better sorting, normally it's a little tasking but this one was interesting.
I think he makes a great Ravenclaw, him and Luna would probably get along real well in the years to come.
With his inquisitive mind it can't have been a tricky decision.

The only thing that usually gets to me with your characters is the odd way in which they talk.

"You should try meditating. It helps to clear the mind of anger. I would suggest counseling. You don’t seem to be adjusting to school life well. Do you miss your family?"

I think it's cool and all, but often find it doesn't really suit one so young or it's too measured, formal or something.
But I think that maybe it's the graphic novel, or first person influence maybe?
We like the characters speech because it's hard and straight to the point, or it makes the characters look pretty witty.

The only problem is, is that outside of the comic world it seems a little unnatural.
Even these dramatic face-offs between your protagonists and villains,foes or rivals in conversation often remind me of that.

"Don’t mock me, Potter! We will duel tonight."
"If that is what you truly wish, Draco. We can find out who wins right now. Sit and let the cards tell of the results, or continue standing, it matters not."

Anyway, I'm only a reader and that's just one quirk I found, I may be wrong.

The interchange was fun to read though, It's funny trying to imagine an eleven year old rolling dice and using cards against another boy.

I also love the jab at the personality trait of Hermione I can't stand - her disbelief in the untangible, how she always doubts Harry and always tells him how the wizarding world would sees things when In reality she grew up believing these things never existed either.

I don't watch the programme but the Heroe's reference was good.

Anyway bro, love the angle of this fic so far, and I'm surprised and happy to see it so early.

Cheers.

JBern replied:

Thanks for the review.   Sometimes finding the right tone for the characters is a tough thing.   In Harry's case, doing card readings and such he may default to using "big" words and trying to sound all official, but you've got a good point.   I may need to "dumb" down the language in chapter 2 to make it more like 12 yr olds speaking.

Glad you liked the story.   More coming after the conclusion of Lie.

Mesterio posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 9:52pm

This was great, i can't wait to read the next chapter in this series, and really want to see how Harry and Luna will react to each other.

JBern replied:

That's actually a part of chapter 2 that I haven't written yet.   The first encounter between Harry and Luna.

Thanks for the review.

wolfey posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 9:50pm

haha this is hilarious. I cant wait for more. Are you going to pair him with luna? They seem to be equally odd.

JBern replied:

Luna will be around.   I'm not going to really tip any pairing at this time.   Romance is a distant second in this story.

morriganscrow posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 8:29pm

That was just so cute!!
Harry the Seer is adorable, and the whole idea of him being raised by Sybil is a hoot. The battle with Draco was perfect and the whole centaur as a Familiar is lovely.
I look forward to more.

JBern replied:

Harry is going to have to work on convincing his centaur of the benefits of being a familiar.

Darak1 posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 7:40pm

The strange thing is that all of his predictions seem to come true, with wizards even convinced it wall all hogwash they would at least start to doubt a bit.

JBern replied:

Glad you like the irony.   More coming after the conclusion of Lie.

knipi posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 6:05pm

Quite amusing!
Can't wait for year 2...
seems he'd get along with Luna quite well.

JBern replied:

I actually wrote the important scenes of year 2 over a year ago.   It's what made the story grow from a cute one shot into a 7 chapter story.   I think you'll be pleased.

Malimber ConDoin posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 6:01pm

Hail,

That was truly a brilliant start. I am constantly amazed when I start to think that all the possible ideas about HP and wring HP fics are done and someone like you come along and debunk that idea. For such a brilliant start and originality, I will give 5/5.

I am eagerly awaiting Harry's meeting with Luna. That bit of advice to go cry somewhere else is absolutely hilarious and had to been divinely inspired. What are you planning to do with Harry and the Basilisk that ought to be fun.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I've seen a few Seer!Harry fics, but most of them are usually serious affairs.   I'm sticking with the light hearted approach here.

Ph34r_n0_3V1L posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 5:03pm

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Trelawney being a credible seer is something I've never seen before, and her training Harry is great. The take on McGonagall is new and interesting. It lacks any of the usual pro!Dumbledore cliches and gives Harry a reason to not be in Gryffindor.

I can't wait to see this Harry and Luna interact.

JBern replied:

Probably my favorite part in chapter 1 is where Snape and McG both say he should be expelled at the same time along with Harry irritating McG in her class.   Why would they need matchsticks or needles?

gadriam posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 4:57pm

Most amusing. The conversations are brilliant, and as Harry appears to really have the gift for it, it's just brilliant to see all the people who makes "sense" in other fics just ignore the evidence. His study technique was also a bloody brilliant thing. I look forward to the introduction of Luna, and of course Ginny the Fangirl from Hell. I just bet he'll pull out the cards. "We will marry and have stupidly named children. However, i don't think i like you, so I'd rather spend my last free years with someone i care for, if you don't mind." It sounds like something this Harry would say, doesn't it.

Thanks.

g

JBern replied:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.   I've got some really great material already for year 2.   It's about 75% done, but this is a fairly easy story to write.   I really haven't thought much about yr 5 and 6, but I already have the ending I want in mind for yr 7,

"Strange whenever I see you, the names Albus and Severus come to mind..."

ladyimmortal posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 4:51pm

Pretty funny story, my friend. Pretty funny!

::heehee - of course Harry likes Sybill AND Lockhart!:: (heehee)

JBern replied:

I do have to add some more Lockhart to year 2.

Rowan Mikaio posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 3:36pm

I'm very interested. I really like this idea, and I'm ready to see more.

I can't wait to see Luna and Harry's interaction. Hopefully, having Harry first (and so often right) will mean that the Ravenclaws will be more accepting of Luna. I also really want to see how Harry reacts to Luna and vice-versa.
I do hope that these chapters will be longer than this, where you can get a bit more into the interactions of characters. Harry doesn't get much interaction with the other students, especially.

I'm intrigued for the possibilities that this represents with many of these storylines. Harry should be able to figure out who's opening the chamber, where Sirius Black is (if not why he's at Hogwarts) that Moody's fake... the possibilities are endless.

I just hope that other people eventually realize how often Harry's right and begin to believe him.

JBern replied:

Honestly, I'm going to try to keep the chapters around 5k.   Straight comedy doesn't lend itself to long stories unless you have the talent of a Nonjon or Rorsarch Blot.   I don't have that talent for comedy yet.   Maybe oneday, but not at this moment in time.

We'll see how the story develops.   Thanks for reviewing.

Killedbykarma posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 3:21pm

The lemon drop comment probably ensured that Harry will never be expelled. Period. xD

JBern replied:

I just thought it would be interesting if Harry liked lemon drops.   I also liked the Dumbledore bowling scene with Vernon kicking his behind.

rede30325 posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 3:01pm

Interesting looks like loads of fun. Can't wait for more.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   More coming after the end of Lie.

David Najarian posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 2:12pm

I read the chapter 3x before attempting to write this review.

What we have here, is Harry with shades of Luna, and while I am a firm believer in HP/GW ships, I really cant see any other ship than Harry/Luna.

Good work as always!!

JBern replied:

Hopefully, you will have as much fun reading as I do writing.

The Midnight Poster posted a comment on Friday 3rd April 2009 1:58pm

I must say this looks to be a good story.

JBern replied:

Thanks!