Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Taegeous posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 7:23am

For the most part, enjoyable, but I'm disappointed you that left V a way out by taking over Percy's son.

Like a bad horror movie, just when you thought the heroes won, the monster pops back up at the end and you know you will be doomed to a sequel. You should have just left him dead.

JBern replied:

For someone as obsessed with avoiding death, it seemed obvious to me that he would find a way to avoid it.   He did once before.   (In this story it was the deal with the Dementors.)   In canon it was the Horcruxes.~Jim

Aaran St Vines posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 7:20am

Not only excellent, creative, and thorough, this ending was rather satisfying. Satisfying in spite of it's dark overtones.

Just an all aroung fine read.

Congrats!

JBern replied:

Well, I know you appreciate a sinister ending.   Glad you enjoyed it.~Jim

jb238 posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 7:14am

Well written, lots of clever and nasty plots, but a bit depressing for my taste. To many good guys killed and not enough bad-guy-bashing. No offense, but I get more than enough realistic and depressing stories in the news. I like your other stories better, more fun and entertainment.

JBern replied:

No offense taken.   Spielberg did Saving Private Ryan, but he also did the Indiana Jones movies.   I really wanted to write a Saving Private Ryan with this one.   My other stories are more in the Indiana Jones vein.~Jim

Crys posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 7:06am

> Only one arm stretched out from under the heavy stone table. He didn’t have the luxury of appreciating the irony
I'm sure there's something in there that I'm missing.

> the interaction between Polyjuice and an expecting mother
Ooh, good question.

> I just helped kill my own son!"
*sigh* I can see how you may feel that way (not to mention Harry acts that way a lot), but think about it, lady. His choices killed him. You did not.

> Harry almost laughed. He’d never heard Remus Lupin use such language.
*chuckle*

Hmm. We leave knowing that Scumgouger is plotting, Harry is counter-plotting, and Voldy's more or less alive. That last paragraph is . . . daring on your part.

Helluva story, Jim. Thanks for writing it out.

JBern replied:

The banshee crushed the charm keeping her silent.   A silencing field and a heavy table were waiting to crush her on the other side.

That polyjuice question came out of a plot bunny swirling in my head of a future in which the Muggles had all but obliterated the Magical world and the few survivors gather using hair from the just about to deliver Ginny, Hermione, Susan, Daphne, Luna (take your pick) Potter who was preggers with twins through sextuplets (again your choice) to rapidly repopulate the magical world.   I guess there's even a MPreg joke thread line there.

Still, it is a compelling question which if it existed would be ethically challenging.

The last paragraph is one of my favorites from the story.   It's been written for probably 6 months now.   Why wouldn't he have a messiah complex?

Thanks for all the reviews and commentary.~Jim

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 6:47am

Wow, first off, I almost can't believe it's over, and what a way to finish things. We had character deaths that were and on screen for once, and folks lived to see it all, and little Tommy is still there in some form, but Harry did his best to say the least. It's been a heck of a ride here, and glad to see this story for as lkong as its run. Great job with it, and looking forward to more of your excellent writing. Well done!

JBern replied:

Glad you enjoyed it.   Hope my future works impress you just as much.~Jim

tula posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 6:17am

great finish. i must admit in may i was starting to doubt wether you could actually wrap up this story well, but you've clearly proven me wrong.
The only part i dislike is that penelope got away... i have no problems with harry and rufus starting to feud among themselves, but Voldemort existing in some form just rubs me the wrong way...

JBern replied:

Endings aren't always happy.   Voldemort still existing probably does rub alot of people the wrong way.   I was almost tempted to write a Voldy wins story at the end, but I can only imagine the flames I would have received.

Thanks for all the reviews~Jim

MarinatedPoultry posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 6:07am

Funny how Scrimegour looks like the second coming of Napoleon. Nice conclusion, and I especially like the tidbit at the end, with the carpenter comment. Does VoldeJunior fancy himself a messiah?
Though, being such an epic I found it hard to keep track of who's dead and who's not. Also, whatever happened to Percy's ghost?

JBern replied:

Glad you liked the Carpenter line.   There's actually a obituaries thread in my section of the forums.   It's a little out of date and sometime this week I'll try to fully update it to the conclusion of the story.

Percy's ghost wanders the earth looking for his son to protect him from Penny.   If he ever finds his son, he might not like what he discovers...~Jim

millercommamatt posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:57am

Thank you JBern. You have succeeded were many fanfiction authors have failed. You created a Voldemort and Death Eaters worth fearing. Too many authors paint the Dark Lord and his forces as only semi-competent. There aren't many authors who remind us that Voldemort's name is feared for a reason.

JBern replied:

Thanks for the compliments and the reviews.   Glad you enjoyed the realism.~Jim

jono74656 posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:31am

The Dark Arse just refuses to stay dead!!!

I can see this as a movie ending- they get to the house, we see the baby with red eyes, then we get a fade out and a ?.

Other than that- congrats on finishing another bloody brilliant story!!

Looking forward to any future works.

J

JBern replied:

So many people kept asking why he bothered helping Coedus out when the vampire was no longer of any use to him.  Now, they have their answer.   Glad you liked the sinister ending.~Jim

maddy143ded posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:30am

damn, this one blew me of.
i am sorry for my Cannon comment, and hope you took it in good spirits,
as for the story it is one of the best one out there.
hope you keep writting

JBern replied:

I was laughing pretty hard when I saw that comment in your previous review and now you know why.   Thanks for the compliments.~Jim

Black Dragon Knight posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:17am

Hard to believe this is over. I've followed it from FF.net to here, and it's great story. I really liked the realistic feel of things, and I think you did a nice job with the "truce" ending.

I'm looking forward to you getting back to Lie, and am curious to what Inner Eye is.

JBern replied:

Inner Eye is my first real attempt at a straight humor story.   1 chapter covers each year and the length is only going to be about 4000 words per chapter.   I have year 1 mostly done and year 2 halfway completed.   I've been told that what I have so far is "dangerously funny" so we'll see.

Thanks for the compliments and all the reviews.~Jim

Shawn Cullipher posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:12am

OMG what an ending. You are a genius sir, let none doubt it.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I appreciate the comment and am glad you enjoyed the story.~Jim

Aaran St Vines posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 1:19am

Just like a typical jbern thriller, MAJOR cliffhanger going into the final battle.

Terrific stuff!

JBern replied:

Oh it wasn't that bad!   I already posted the conclusion and look forward to your comments.   Thanks for all the help along the way.~Jim

busted posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 8:31pm

This is just a rhetorical question I felt like sharing with others. Why doesn't anyone ever use guns?

I know jk wouldn't put guns in because it kind of ruins the fights since guns would end up winning. Bullets are so fast that unless you are ready before the gun is fired you won't get a shield up intime. I read one fanfic where someone was just having a joke with the idea. He had harry up in one of hogwarts towers with a sniper and when voldemort came out onto the grounds with nagini he shoots the snake then voldemort in the head. Wallah!! he is dead....

JBern replied:

In some of my others stories, I've gone out of my way to show that Magical folks have "bulletproof"  runes woven in to their clothing, much like the old AD&D spell Protection from Normal Missles.

In this story, I did have Harry use some WW2 era bombs against the Death Eater HQ.   Hopefully, that counts for something.   (He also uses some explosives at the beginning of the final chapter...)

Inherently, too much focus on guns would take away from the "magic" side, if you catch my drift.~Jim

busted posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 8:17pm

Another great chapter. I am definately looking forward to the next one.

JBern replied:

And now it's posted...

Thanks for the reviews.~Jim

jono74656 posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 7:13pm

You are an evil, evil man! Leaving the story at such a crucial juncture!!!!! Bad cliffie! No Donut!!

No that that's out of my system let me just say that this story is a masterwork of fiction, and the day it is finished for good will be a sad day in my house.

JBern replied:

Can I have my donut now?~Jim

PerfesserN posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 2:31pm

And here we sit, on the edge of our seats. Thank you for the A/N suggesting a very timely update.
Oooooo, three newborn children for the hag, I wonder if the hag is some kind of plant; someone working for the "Light" side to ensure the survival of the Potter triplets?
I have to say, again, that I appreciate your interpretation of Voldemort here - intelligent, capable, and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Much more than the mustache-twirling caricature found in other works.
We are looking forward to the next (last?) thrilling episode with baited breath.
Write on, write on!
N!

JBern replied:

Okay, you can brush your teeth.   I've posted the conclusion and frankly the breath was beginning to smell a bit too baited.~Jim

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 12:58pm

Whoa, looking forward to the last battle, and as bad as its gotten, it looks like there's not going to be much of the wizarding world for Tom to rule after it's all said and done.

JBern replied:

The finale will be posted soon.   I think you'll be impressed.~Jim

Fenris Ulf posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 11:59am

You evil evil man!!! I clicked the next button about 50 times holding out hope that maybe just maybe there wouldn't be this very mean cliff hanger.

I can't wait for more of this action. Rita Skeeters articals in Brit and in the US being so different from each other were really well done. Did Penny kill her? She's in that area right?

Rob

JBern replied:

It'll be up soon.   I need to get it back from editing.   Other questions will be answered, but I'm sure you'll be left with even more questions.~Jim

Crys posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 8:18am

I recognized a couple names in there . . . :)

Liked the American news report. Just enough subtle changes (Forbiddens) to make it clear that it's a change but basically the same kind of thing.

"Paul Revere's glamoured broomstick"? *laugh* BTW, would an American say "glamour" or "glamor" (or illusioned or some other term)?

Great chapter. Helluva cliffy, though.

Now to see if Cissy is loyal to Draco or to Harry . . .

JBern replied:

Yeah, I figured I'd save my best cliffhanger for last.   Glad you liked the Americanisms and you make a good point about glamour/glamor/illusion...

Thanks for the review.~Jim