Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Matthew Blair posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 4:15pm

Damn I hate waiting for new chapters I like every story of yours I have read. Just wish I didn't need to wait I wanna see harry go nuts on all his "friends"
Good works as always

JBern replied:

There are so many stories where Harry gets to do that.   I might even do a running joke in this one where everytime he gets on a roll insulting one of his former friends, something bad happens.   Much like the running joke in the preceding story where he kept wanting to get a snake and something always got in the way.

Jim

Jizzle posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 3:52pm

Great chapter. Bungle in the Jungle is my favorite HP fanfic ever, and I can't tell you how excited every time I see this story update.

But do we really have to wait at least one more chapter for any Harry Luna interaction. Aw. I mean, he smiles at her, but what's her reaction?

Oh, and maybe the defenses will kill Hermione and get her out of the way? Well, almost certainly not, but one can hope.

JBern replied:

I just edited the chapter and gave the slightest hint of her reaction.   Several people had pointed out that he should have noticed her more.~Jim

Kyle_Dodge1 posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 3:21pm

Tight. Keep it up.

JBern replied:

Thanks!   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

MrRobertsIII posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 3:20pm

Nice to see Dumbledore just as slick as ever. So in character with what was revealed about him in DH.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.   I really don't like versions of DD that have no 'plan' and crumble like a bitch before Harry's great "you've wronged me" speech.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

joeBob posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 3:01pm

Poor Harry can't catch a break!

Excellent chapter. Almost flawless EXCEPT FOR THAT CLIFFHANGER AT THE END!

Grrr.

JBern replied:

I thought it was a smashing place to end the chapter.   It sets up all that action in chapter 3 most excellently...~Jim

Renzo7 posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 2:17pm

Almost up to the usual standards, but extremely short... I don't know, something about this chapter besides the length just doesn't meet the requirements... I hope you update SOON and back to your usual quality level.
Maybe it was the comment at the beginning, "The only thing you’re happy about is that you have more spine than that twerp in book 7" yet he still is a mushroom for all his bravado and posing, I think that made the whole difference for this chapter, I was expecting much more from it.

JBern replied:

A 5200 word chapter is longer than most conventional chapters in a real book.   Is he a mushroom?   He got beat on the oath, but he still has a small army answering to him, a level of diplomatic immunity, real experience and skill.  

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations, I was rather proud of the chapter.~Jim

B. Bailin posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 2:01pm

A second thought: easiest way to get around the oath is to bring down the blood ward. Certainly, now that Harry has seen a cascading ward failure, keeping the possibility of that happening as low as possible would definitely count as "protecting the students to the best of his ability."

JBern replied:

It's a thought.   Several thoughts will be discussed in chapter 4.   Chapter 3 will be a bit busy.~Jim

Matt Harris posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:59pm

Forgot this in my first comment, but I wonder if the fact that Harry swallowed some Daemon's blood will affect the blood wards. After all, in some ways, he isn't Lily Potter's son anymore.

JBern replied:

There's a chance that is affecting the charging of the wards.   Much will be discussed in chapter 4 with Bill.   Chapter 3 will be a bit busy with other problems.~Jim

Mark Blaine posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:57pm

Good. I was hoping to find something by you up. Feeling ironically sorry for hermy, she's really outclassed as a interfering annoyance by Dumbledore.

JBern replied:

Hermione was used.   Of couse had the Weasleys not interfered in DD's master plan.   Harry would be obliviously 'dating' the Head Girl and everyone would be happy.

Right now, not too many people are happy are they?

Jim

brrt posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:46pm

Just wow.

Harry really isn't taking anymore crap, which is great, but I still like Dumbledore's canniness and experience allowing him to pull one over on Harry now and again. I can never enjoy reading about a Stupid!Manipulative!Dumbledore, a cliche you have nicely avoided.

I'm looking forward as to how Hermione takes these developments, whether her brain kicks in and she becomes more self-reliant, or remains Dumbledore's girl-of-negotiable-affection (now she has a hyphenated name too!).

Eagerly awaiting more.

JBern replied:

I agree.   I detest many stories where DD was this master manipulator until the beginning of an author's story.   Suddenly, DD can't do a damn thing right!   Harry can deftly defeat his arguements all the time and   never loses because he was supposed to be in Slytherin.

Sorry I went of on a rant there.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

LoggingInSucksAss posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:42pm

I still want to know when Harry's going to ask someone if they'd like to see his Brazilian.

I mean, come on. It's too good to pass up.

JBern replied:

I'll keep it in mind.~Jim

CarlosNegrao posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:39pm

Nice chapter.
For a moment I thought Dumbledore wanted or needed Harry to impregnate Hermione (they should be glad he didn ´t think of it(or did he?)).

JBern replied:

Who knows all the things that go through DD's mind.   Harry could bring it up.   After all, he knocked up Lauren.   He could knock up Hermione and just spend time with the kid...

Jim

M2J MandalorianJedi posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:38pm

DDDaaaaammmmnnnnn! B-E-A-utifiul! Definitly can't wait to see what else you have in store for this. Dumble's plan had waaaayyyyy too many complications as it were. Had the world's smartest dumbass actually appraised a few more people of his intentions thins might have went a bit more his way.

JBern replied:

He would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that damn Molly Weasley....

Glad you liked it.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

dc1 posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:32pm

You have sure turned dumbles into a real piece of work. No thats not right he always was one, you just show him in his true light. i like the idea of the spite shag, very amusing.

As always im left desperately wanting the next chapter. im really looking forward to dumbles reaction when he sees the daemon pensieve. well done all around.

JBern replied:

Glad you are enjoying the story.   Next chapter coming in 2 weeks.~Jim

Greg Johnson posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:32pm

Wow... That was interesting. I am eager for the next chapter! Keep up the good work.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Next chapter in 2 weeks.~Jim

Taegeous posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:31pm

Dumbles certainly has a big brass pair. His apology, which is stretching the definition of the word, is nothing but more scheming. I hope you have Harry take him down a few pegs...publicly would be nice.

Also, what was with the sudden look at the pocketwatch last chapter, when Harry explained he was a journeyman? Tied to the wards perhaps? Anyways, great, if short, chapter. Looking forward to more.

P.S. Loved the disclaimer. Could have stopped reading right there and been happy.

JBern replied:

He had a good plan.   He just didn't count on the Weasleys screwing it up.   The pocketwatch is a tool to monitor the status of the wards.   Thanks for the review.~Jim

B. Bailin posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:26pm

. . . wow. This chapter provoked exactly the same response as the climax of HBP did, for me: "Albus, you [b][i]idiot![/i][/b]" Harry and Hermione are both pretty much screwed, now -- probably in the literal sense, unless they can work out a way around the oath.

And if I'm right about who's [b]really[/b] behind the memory charms, it's likely that the Burrow will become as much a hole in the ground as the name implies.

JBern replied:

If you're thinking that the Weasleys were behind the memory charms, you're right.   Following the song lyrics, chapter 4 will be "I've gotta do it my way".   It will be much concerned with Harry trying to figure out a way around the oath.~Jim

Crys posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:13pm

*ponder* Technically, Harry could rape Hermione and call it "for the greater good". AND BOTH SHE AND AD WOULD HAVE TO ADMIT HE'S RIGHT.

The best way to destroy AD would simply explain to everyone exactly what he's done. He's a slippery bastard, so that'd be a tough one, but low-risk.

Going out deez hunting could conceivably be "for the good of the school and students". As another reviewer has already stated, replacing AD with McG (or Flitwick) could be as well.

LV taking over a portrait is a new one. Dippet is a good choice on that. Bad news is that he now knows everything of interest going on.

"You have to believe me." Uttered by both HG and RL. Interesting parallel, but I wonder if it matters.

Now, if they all really ARE sorry for their actions, they'll all offer recompense. Exactly what Harry would require out of each one of them is an interesting conversation all by itself.

"Obligations" Oh, you're a bastard, AD.

Get to explain things to poor Cho now. Oh, and looking forward to conversations with Ron and Ginny. And Luna, but for diametrically opposed reasons.

Thanks for the grand story. Looking forward to more.

JBern replied:

Ah the greater good is a wonderful thing isn't it?   I'm considering a runnig joke like in the last one where Harry kept trying to get a snake and never did.   Imagine if everytime he's about to start ripping his friends a new one, something bad happens.   Finally around Christmas time he gets them all in one spot and decides, hell it ain't worth it.~Jim

DrT posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:04pm

Wow, that was short (and sour but well-done). Interesting twist with the portrait.

"T"

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I appreciate it.~Jim

CosmosGravitation posted a comment on Wednesday 26th September 2007 1:02pm

As usual, a good chapter. Nice twist with the wards and the vow and all. Guess Harry isn't as politically acute as he thought he was. I'm looking forward to Harry's and Hermione's forced interaction.

I do think the chapter would have been better with more detail. Especially the part where Harry calls out Dumbledore in front of the entire school. Not just there though. I would have loved to read more about the characters postures and body language and such. I should note that I've always been a big fan of a large amount of detail, so it might not just be you.

I think I've discovered another reason I like The Lie I've Lived more then this and your other story outside of the first person POV (which is my favorite). I like independent and powerful Harry, but I like an independent Harry who keeps his head down instead of an overtly hostile Harry (when it comes to Dumbledore mostly... although you really didn't have much of a choice on that with this story).

Personally, I don't really care for all the special privileges Harry received in TFTCD and now it looks like this. It makes the story much more real to me when he's just another student, or acts like he is. Just a personal preference though really.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of TFTCD and the continuation of The Lie and this.

JBern replied:

Thanks for the long review.   I'm afraid that Harry always seems to have privileges.   In most stories he tries to just get by as another student, when he is clearly not.   Harry in Darkness just kind of accepted it.   Harry in this story felt he needed it to maintain his independence.   HJ in The LIe I've Lived, well just wait and see, but he may very well embrace it.

Hope that clarifies my position on that subject.~Jim