Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

Brian Donnely posted a comment on Sunday 6th January 2008 3:28pm

"you can emphasize with the feel of her arse. Oops! You can emphasize with her position"

Should be "empathize" not "emphasize"

I like dodgespell. Not many authors have invented a new magical game of their own, it's refreshing.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I put a decent amount of effort into modifying Dodgeball into Dodgespell.~Jim

Brian Donnely posted a comment on Thursday 3rd January 2008 11:34am

Haha, yeah. I was going to take some time off, let it all digest, you know. But last night I couldn't sleep, so what better way to spend some extra time, eh?

Yeah, it took a bit to get used to the second person perspective, but as long it's well written (which it is), I'm fine with it.

Harry and Bill teaming up is going to be fun. :) And I like your Luna. The stuff she and Harry write to each other through those book-mail devices should be interesting.

JBern replied:

And now you're sucked into this story.~Jim

Brian Donnely posted a comment on Wednesday 2nd January 2008 5:54pm

I'm very intrigued. Damn you and keeping me from my sleep!

JBern replied:

You went into this story without taking some time off?   Wow that'll be a problem.   Currently, you're 29 chapters behind including the 4 from the in progress sequel.

I think you'll enjoy this take on Harry's character and the 2nd person doesn't seem to bother you so that's good.

All I can say is that you're in for a treat and be careful about eating or drinking while reading this story.   You'll see why.   ~Jim

Muad'Dib posted a comment on Saturday 22nd December 2007 12:18pm

That fight was Majestic! I get drawn into a story on occasion, but seldom do I find myself so fully immersed that life around me seems to come to a halt. Bleeding fantastic, that's what this is. Who cares about you continuously misspelling Kedavra into KedaRva, or 'to' instead of 'too'. Your storytelling ability renders any type of criticism moot.

Great job on your OC's. You gave them a personality and stuck to it. You describe situations so vividly that if Warner Bros ever come to their senses and make films out of fanfiction, I could build the sets for your story!

I'll move on to the epilogue and then the sequel before sleep grabs a hold of me. Let's hope I don't dream of scary Daemons tonight...

Cheers mate.

JBern replied:

Thank you very much for the compliments. Yeah those stinking misspellings always get me.   I also do your and you're all the time.

I hope you enjoy the sequel as much.   Next chapter of it will be up ia few days.~Jim

Superninjamonkey posted a comment on Monday 3rd December 2007 4:26pm

Excellent. The second person perspective was a very unique, though I must say it set me off a little at first. After I got used to it (around chapter 5) I actually enjoyed the origionality of it. Well done.

JBern replied:

I usually tell people to give it to chapter 4 before you make a decision about whether you like the POV or not.   Glad you found it interesting.~Jim

delta16669 posted a comment on Thursday 29th November 2007 12:04pm

Good stuff

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Hope you are enjoying the sequel.~Jim

11dan88 posted a comment on Sunday 11th November 2007 6:51pm



Harry’s got a gun. Harry’s got a gun. Whole lot of inferi come.



LOL LOVE IT!

Great story, as is the sequel ... hell all of your stories are. Keep em coming.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it and I hope the rest of the story impresses you.~Jim

RRuth posted a comment on Saturday 10th November 2007 12:11pm

Brillant!!
One of the best HP-FF I've ever read. Increadible funny wihout being a parodie combined with a good storyline. Wonder whether
there will be a sequel? Also I admit it might be hard to hang a good story behind this without superharry, dumbledorebashing or harryforgivesthemall, which all just dont really fit to this one.
I normally dont like fics written in the second person perspective but this one is good nontheless.
hope I didnt write tomuch nonsense here, its afterall 2 in the morning but you get my point. Keep up the good work
mfG RB

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Glad you enjoyed it.   The sequel is already on chapter 3.   It's called Turn Me Loose.~Jim

dave gerecke posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 10:13pm

What a great story
dave

JBern replied:

Thanks.   I hope the sequel impresses you just as much.~Jim

mathiasgranger posted a comment on Tuesday 23rd October 2007 6:05am

The thing is...Harry wasn't even being naive here with Karina...he was being stupid. There is a large difference between the two.

Thanks for writing,
Matt

JBern replied:

Ah, but he was 15.   Show me a person who doesn't do something silly at age 15 and I'll show you a liar.   I could also argue that Harry lived such a repressed life that at that time, handed his freedom (essentially) by Bill, he would immediately test his boundaries.~Jim

Void Sorcerer posted a comment on Monday 8th October 2007 3:04pm

Well Jbern, I have done it. I have finally made it down far enough in my "to read list" and have gotten to your truly wonderful story. You have created a masterpiece, a solid 5/5

You have put Harry's character right, stupid, but yet at the same time learning. As time goes by we see him growing, becoming smarter, both with the ladies and in knowledge, well done.

Animage: You have done something no author that I have ever read has done. You have made your transformation completely unique, and I enjoyed your way better than most.

Magic: Spell chaining, not the newest of concepts, but I recall reading the beginning of your story earlier on; and you were one of the first to start this.

The fact that you have your characters use Wands, instead of bull crap 'bout wandless magic, makes me extremely pleased.

Action: The scenes were well described, I enjoyed them. They had enough detail to put the reader into the situation, and you made your characters act like actual people probably would.

Romance: This was a hoot, well done.

Luna: A nice outlook on Luna, you probably have the most unique Luna Lovegood I have ever seen, can't wait to see her in the sequel.

Harry's Ex Friends: Truly a brilliant plot, a good way to get Harry out of England and actually learning something. T'is truly remarkable how you did this.

The fact that his friends betrayed him, and he still remains on the light side is also original. Far to often do we see Harry join Voldemort, or go to Azkaban when his friends 'betray' him.

Voldemort: Truly the only sad part about this fic is the fact that we don't see him at all. As he is my favorite character, you have no idea how close I was to knocking you down 3-4 points just for this fact.

However, if I over look this, you have done well.

Again, well done on this work of art. I look forward to the sequel.

-Void

JBern replied:

Thanks for the long review.   Part of writing this story was about me just simply having fun. So, I tried to find ways that Harry could have "fun" while sticking him in life or death situations.   My inspiration for the story was the Indiana Jones movies.

Putting Harry and the reader in a situation where he could be shown learning about life and magic at the same time was part of what helps this story stand out.

Some have said I should have done it in 1st person.   I just don't think it would have been as good.

Anyway, thanks for the review~Jim

biged78 posted a comment on Sunday 30th September 2007 4:44pm

I am glad I finally got past my misgivings and decided to read this story. Good fan fic is hard to come by these days. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and will start on the sequel shortly.

JBern replied:

Glad you enjoyd it.   The sequel is under way and I hope it continues to impress you.~Jim

Gardengirl posted a comment on Thursday 27th September 2007 11:08am

I love that Howard Jones song, too. Just a what-for.

JBern replied:

Makes you wonder what Howard Jones is up to these days?       Hope you liked the story.~Jim

Fenris Ulf posted a comment on Wednesday 29th August 2007 4:45pm

This story is truly awesome. I loved the way it was presented with you as Harry Potter I thought it really let me get into Harry's head and see how he thinks. His inner monologue is awesome as well expecially when he's trying hard to think of something else or coming out of the potions I was laughing pretty hard at times. My partner thinks I'm nuts now I believe but thats the risk of reading at work :)

Rob

JBern replied:

I think the use of 2nd person is what really sets it apart.   Sorry for the long delay.   I don't check this story for outstanding reviews that need replying to.   Glad I could give you a few good chuckles.   This is after all entertainment.~Jim

Banner posted a comment on Tuesday 28th August 2007 3:51am

That story was fun!
I just started it yesterday, and I read it straight through. I had trouble stopping last night so I could sleep, and I picked right up this morning. I loved watching Harry grow and develop - you did a beautiful job of taking canon and advancing it in a believable fashion. The action scenes were intense, and the descritions were marvelous. I could *see* the Daemon. Terrifying. The purely human evil was just as nasty.
Great job. This one is going in my favorites file. Thank you.

JBern replied:

As you can see, I am catching up on my delinquent reviews.   I don't check this one that much for ones that need responding to so forgive the delay.     Sorry you lost out on a good night's sleep, but it's a nice compliment that you couldn't stop reading.   Glad you enjoyed the story so much.~Jim

Stonebrow posted a comment on Friday 24th August 2007 12:57pm

I decided to read this for a third (maybe fourth?) time, and it was still fun. However, I'm confused about something I overlooked previously, unless I missed the answer this time. What evidence does Harry & company have that the goblins were actually going to trick them?
A near insane Collins and a Dark Lord who lies a lot aren't good sources. I suppose that saying, "You have no evidence we were going to trick you!" sort of gives readers a clue, but that's all I can find.
Looking forward to the sequel, frankly I don't like TFtCD. It's well written, good characters, and interesting. But I hate some of the plot points.I don't expect a happy ending to every story, but you seemed to kill off characters when it wasn't necessary. I just stopped reading during Neville's mad blood bath. Like I said, brilliantly written story, loved the flying carpet anvil scene, and the politics, but I have no interest in a everyone dies story. Joss Whedon wouldn't kill off that many! Um, I'm done.

JBern replied:

Sorry for the long delay in my reply.   I don't check this story for reviews that need to be replied to that often.   As for what evidence Harry and company had.   They didn't really have much to go on.   The suspicions that it was taking too long to fix the bulk transfer system and what they experienced with the goblin assault against the goblin renegades.   They threw it to the wall and it "stuck" as the expression goes.

Hope that clarifies that.   Sorry you don't really care for Darkness.   I like it and I guess that's what's important.   At least you complimented me on it being well-written.   Thanks.   I hope you are enjoying Bungle's sequel now.~Jim

oso983 posted a comment on Sunday 5th August 2007 6:38pm

Hi there, I really enjoyed this story. At first the second persons point of view was kind of unusual. But once I got used to it, I really enjoyed it. I liked espacially that Harry was taken out of the usual settings for a story and brought to South America! Good one! Are you going to write a sequel?

JBern replied:

First chapter of the sequel - Turn Me Loose will be out in the first week of September.~Jim

DiscountNinja posted a comment on Friday 3rd August 2007 4:03am

Man, I can't wait for the sequel to start, that rocked! THe magic/runes/cursebreak bit was brillient =) I loved your subtle jab at the rest of the fandom who seem to treat Bill like a human goblin ...

JBern replied:

Those who have seen the first chapter of TML say that I've picked up right where I left off.~Jim

Nostariel posted a comment on Thursday 2nd August 2007 8:44pm

The story was amazing. I loved it and I cant wait for sequel! Keep the good work up :)

JBern replied:

Thank you very much.   Sequel coming soon.~Jim

bfergu1234 posted a comment on Monday 30th July 2007 9:27am

An excellent story.

Really one of a handfull, well maybe 20 or so, FanFics that have ever really captured my attention.

I'm looking forward to the 'rest of the story' with the gang back in England.

I'd really like to see the folks reaction to the will Harry made up.

Maybe Bill could accidentally leave his copy out?

But all in all, I think you had a believable plot there.

Keep up the good work!!!

JBern replied:

Thank you very much for the compliments.   There is a preview of Turn Me Loose in my section of the ffa forum.   The first complete chapter will be up in September.~Jim