Content Harry Potter Original Works Harry Potter/New Battlestar Galactica

Reviews

jeffstrauser@yahoo.com posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 6:44pm

Outstanding chapter!!!! Whatever you do don't listen to Motograter and read fanfiction, never seems to work out right! Anyways I loved the chapter, can the contestants cast spells during the broom race? If so the vomitting hex would work great for a distraction!!!! What are all of the tasks anyways? I like your tasks whatever they all are way better then the ones in the books, I mean task 2 and Task 3 were both let downs oh well. Do keep up the outstanding work and update soon please!!!!:):):):)

JBern replied:

Some of the tasks are mentioned on the forum under this site.   No spell casting during the broom race.~Jim

Superninjamonkey posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 4:29pm

Excellent, I love the concept of this story.

JBern replied:

Thanks.~Jim

PerfesserN posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 1:34pm

Nice fight scene, in a real fight both combatants get the crap kicked out of them. The winner is the one who can limp away when its over.
Good job having Sirius in on the secret as well, he gets to be the cavalry later on.
Will the twins recover from their rectal-cranial inversion anytime soon?
Inquiring minds want to know. . .
N!

JBern replied:

Wouldn't you rather see it where the twins push HJ into retaliation?   Thanks for the compliments.~Jim

CosmosGravitation posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 8:44am

One of the best chapters yet. I don't know what it is about this story but it has captured my imagination. All the scenes were strong, especially the fight and the Sirius black parting.

Poor Hermione, I doubt she knew how to react in that closet with Harry. A few chapters ago wasn't she acting kind of cold to Harry? I guess the censure and attempt on Harry's life changed that. Hermione probably hasn't had much attention from members of the opposite gender at this point in the story. When I read the first five canon books I was always sort of rooting for Harry/Hermione, at least more then Harry/Ginny. I can't help but think that the only reason Hermione went for Ron in canon is because Harry never showed the slightest bit of interest in her. I'd suggest you write a Harry/Hermione, but I recall for the last review of Turn Me Loose I suggested a Harry/Tonks pairing story and I don't want to seem like a pairing obsessed fan.

More details in the story would be nice. For example, I remember at one point during the politiking somebody brought up Sirius Black but you didn't actually say who first mentioned him. Just "somebody", and then Harry responded. Perhaps you have your reasons, but I think whoever first mentioned him would be something that Harry would notice and it would also help us readers to receive a better mental image of the scene and discussion.

The Julius Caesar line was a good one. If Sirius Black is Julius Caesar does that make Harry Octavian?

I'm stumped as to who the new defence teacher could be. If you bring back Lupin to teach that would surely create some conflict, but that seems a little to cliche for you. Besides, Lupin is still a Werewolf. Every other significant possibility I can think of either wears the mark or is tied up elsewhere. Original character maybe?

JBern replied:

I'm still deciding who I want to be the replacement DADA, but it will likely be either a Beauxbaton or Durmstrang instructor willing to test themselves against the dreaded curse.   Perhaps Igor Karkaroff himself might be interested...

I don't mind pairing suggestions.   I have a H/Hr bunny waiting for me to clear away other projects.

If Sirius is Caesar, Harry is Marc Anthony.

Lupin will eventually be by, mostly because you readers deserve to see the train wreck play out.

Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

 

Dellaran posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 5:47am

Every time I read one of your updates, I come away shaking my head, amazed at how inventive you are. This story, and Bungle/Turn Me Loose, have become two of my favorites. Thank you!

JBern replied:

Thank you for the compliments.   Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

Fenris Ulf posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 1:40am

Hehe the Hat is so awesome I love his attitude. I can't wait for more of this story. Sirius was confused about how to deal with Harry in canon this should screw him up nicely :)


Rob

JBern replied:

Sirius will feel that in some way he does have James back.   HJ will probably have to remind him several times that he's a different person.~Jim

MrRobertsIII posted a comment on Thursday 10th January 2008 1:38am

Wow. Did not expect you to expose the fake Moody and Skeeter so soon. Great fight scene. I liked how you gave house-elves a limit. Too many fics make them close to all powerful.

The best part was the bartering. Fudge's line had me laughing. I could just see Skeeter squirming.

Love your OCs. Don't know if I like Hack or the Hat better.

JBern replied:

Maybe I should cross my two fics over and have the Hat and Hack team up?

Glad I can still pull a rabbit out of my ... Hat, (sorry pun intended) and surprise you readers.~Jim

Cromi posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 11:07pm

Another great chapter. I must've read the last one ten times and I like where this one is going.

Keep up the good work!

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

dic posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 9:20pm

Yay! nice chapter...
would have expected dobby to come rushing to hj's defenses when winky attacked him... but who knows how house-elves work? anyway... liked it, keep it up!!

JBern replied:

Good question who knows how House Elves work?   It would stink for Dobby to show up whenever HJ is in danger wouldn't it?~Jim

Kyle_Dodge1 posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 6:28pm

Keep it up, J.

JBern replied:

Thanks.   Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

FULLMETAL posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 6:04pm

Great chapter, through and through! The dirty politics made it for me and Harry's little talk with Sirius was a great way to end the chapter. This also marks the point where the story truly goes AU (now that crouch Jr. is out of the picture), and I cant' wait to see where it goes. Looking forward to the next one!
Oh! And Harry's description of Hermione, as well as his reasons why he wouldn't date her, was brilliant. I look forward to the day when you decide to put up a Harry/Hermione story, the 'ship will never be the same again :)

JBern replied:

I've got a H/Hr bunny lying around, but it'll be awhile.   Before it shows up there will likely be a Harry/Lavender story showing up.   If I ever write it, it'll definitely be "different."

Glad you liked this.   Next chapter in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

joeBob posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 5:52pm

PS. You didn't make it clear if Winky was dead (seems likely she would be).

Was she toast or will she be the first marked house-elf in Voldemort's ranks?

Drunk and harassing HJ could be fun. ;-)

JBern replied:

She's dead.   Plus she didn't pick up the drinking habit until she was freed by Barty Sr.~Jim

Killedbykarma posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 5:50pm

Whoa. This is amazing. I've never read something quite like this.

JBern replied:

Glad you liked it.~Jim

joeBob posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 5:49pm

Fine chapter. HJ may have not been maximally prudent with the way he confronted Fake-Moody but the fight and the result sure made up for that!

Excellent black-politics scene. I always thought that Fudge couldn't operate on that level though. That Umbitch, Malfoy, and others had to do significant coaching behind the scenes.

How can the hat not know if Dumbledore is AC or DC? It was on his deviant, eleven-year-old head. It has seen any guests and recreational habits Dumby has.
If nothing else, all those "Out Magazine"s scattered in Dumby's chambers should be a clue.

Peter liked the Bee Gees? (P-tooey) He truly WAS evil!

JBern replied:

You know you like the Bee Gees...

Glad you liked the chapter.   Still the Hat didn't see AD until he was well passed his sexual prime, so there are only rumors to go off of.

I know Fudge is supposed to be a buffoon, but I can't bring myself to write a character that reaches the top and is that much of an idiot.   I prefer the guy from the beginning of book 3 who brushes off the whole Aunt Marge thing to the guy who he immediately ordered kissed by the Dementors.~Jim

Alex00 posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 4:39pm

Awesome stuff.

JBern replied:

Thanks.~Jim

Jizzle posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 4:34pm

What an amazing chapter. First off, I have to applaud your talent to make the least likely characters total badasses who give Harry a hard time. First there was horcrux-Filch, and now we have pissed off Winky. I loved it.

It's sort of hard to pick individual parts that were great, though, because it was all so good. Loved your as always excellent portrayal of dirty politics, Harry's deft dealing with his pain in the ass housemates, totally on canon manipulative pedantic Dumbledore, and that you got Skeeter out of Harry's way early. I also enjoyed seeing Padfoot, and moreover seeing him in on the secret. I wasn't expecting it, but it was fun and I look forward to seeing him more in the future.

Thanks for another great chapter in a great story, and happy writing!

JBern replied:

Oh who said Skeeter's out of the way?   Sure wasn't me!   Why wouldn't Winky defend her master?   Lord knows there are enough with Dobby doing it.

Glad you enjoyed the chapter so thoroughly.   Next one in 2-3 weeks.~Jim

bauer posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 3:19pm

The inclusion of Sirius should make for an interesting round table with HJ and Hat. Getting these updates is like a little present at the end of a craptastic day. Gracias

JBern replied:

Don't forget to include Ollie and the Bloody Baron at that table.   Glad I made your day a bit better.~Jim

Muggleborn Prince posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 2:05pm

GAAHHHH You always got to end it extremely awesome don't you??

Good chapter, I enjoyed, worth the long update wait.(well...a shorter one would have been better...haha) This is wildly becoming one of my favorite stories of all time..

JBern replied:

Nonjon gave me a bit of advice that was people decide whether or not to leave a review in the last couple of paragraphs, so if I want lots of reviews, then the end of the chapter needs to leave you folks salivating for more.~Jim

DvorakQ posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 2:04pm

Nice update! I find it difficult to gauge which fic of yours I enjoy reading more. Bungle has been consistent with its high quality, however, new fics with original premises are hard to match. Whatever. I look forward to updates to either.

Thank you for your (I'm assuming) hard work. I really am looking forward to the sparks fly as Fleur and Harry butt heads... Hopefully, you make Fleur into someone with much more depth than Rowling's lame ass depiction.

JBern replied:

I wish it was easy, but it does take effort on my part and the folks at Alpha Fight Club.   I hope to give real depth and character to Fleur.~Jim

Cuey posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 2:00pm

Nice Chapter Jim. I didn't forsee Fleur and Aimee being racing broom champs, although in retrospect everyone in the magical world seems to enjoy blatant cheating or at least casual rulebreaking. I'm sure naive Hermione will be indignant when she finds out.

JBern replied:

Well you gotta figure people have lots of skills and these are the top students of the top magical schools in Europe.~Jim